BackAssist and UFI\Bios recovery

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

BackAssist and UFI\Bios recovery

by asslankh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:41 pm

Why I can't recover a backup done to a Server configured Bios to a new Server configured with UFI like other applications "Acronics"
Since I found out it can't be done, so what is the difference between BackupAssist and Microsoft server backup, both can do Image of Baremetal
and bot can recover to the similar servers with Bios\UFI configuration. so why pay money for a program like BackupAssist when I can do same thing with a free Microsoft Server Backup
I really wanted a program that can backup our and our clients old Bios servers so we can recover them on a new UFI servers, and Acronics is very expensive.

Khalil Asslan
service@arditi.co.il
asslankh
User

Re: BackAssist and UFI\Bios recovery

by michael.jones » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello,

I'm not sure what exactly it is that you are wanting BackupAssist to do here.

Since BackupAssist actually uses Wbadmin.exe. the native Windows backup program to do image, or System Protection backups and restores, I'm afraid you suggest a disparity where none exists.

From our System recovery guide:

https://www.backupassist.com/education/ ... guide.html

The system will access its BIOS or EFI and detect the hardware needed to boot. It will display some of the steps onscreen and beep to confirm that it has run successfully. Additional beeps can indicate a problem detecting the required hardware.

EFI Systems that have been backed up must be restored by booting RecoverAssist in EFI mode.
EFI Systems cannot be restored to BIOS systems and BIOS systems cannot be restored to EFI systems.
EFI booting can be turned off and the system will revert to BIOS mode.

Perhaps this blog post will help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... dowsbackup
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Re: BackAssist and UFI\Bios recovery

by asslankh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:38 pm

well you just said it

"EFI Systems cannot be restored to BIOS systems and BIOS systems cannot be restored to EFI systems" and this is a problem
other software can do that like Acronics or Novabackup
what did I say why spend a money on BA when I can do same thing with Windows WBADMIN

I must have a software that can recover a server to a dissimilar hardware, that is from Bios to UFI

Thanks for confirming my problem
asslankh
User

Return to Technical Support v9