FileDirector cabinet not being seen by all file protection..

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

FileDirector cabinet not being seen by all file protection..

by RocknRollTim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 am

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could help us with our backups. We currently have 2 licenses for BackupAssist, one core on one server for Exchange and another core with Rsync and SQL add-ons on another server for all other backup jobs which are File Protection (Local and Network) and SQL Server Protection jobs. The problem comes when backing up a new yearly cabinet (directory) I created at the beginning of year for our document file management system called FileDirector using FileDirector Enterprise Manager on the other server that has BackupAssist installed and configured for Exchange, 4 out of the 9 file protection jobs (network) can see the directory whereas the other 5 file protection jobs can’t see the directory at all, 4 local and 1 network even though I have pointed them to the correct remote share locations. Is this something you will be able to help us with or this something I will need to consult with DMG (FileDirector)?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

Re: FileDirector cabinet not being seen by all file protecti

by michael.jones » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 am

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support.

What is the difference between the jobs that can see the Cabinet and the ones that can't?

What are you using as the BackupAssist user id?
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by RocknRollTim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi Michael,

Thank you for responding to my forum thread.

With regards to the differences between the jobs that can see the Cabinet and the ones that can't, what information would you like me to report back with?

We're using domain administrator as the BackupAssist user ID.

Kind regards,

Tim Auluck
RocknRollTim
User

by TimN » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Tim,

It's Tim from BackupAssist. Michael is away from the office at the moment.

For us to advise further, please send in system diagnostics for us to review the logs.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v9\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is up to 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by RocknRollTim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Hi Tim,

Thank you for also responding to my forum thread, I'll send over the information as soon as I have a moment.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by RocknRollTim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:26 am

TimN wrote:Hi Tim,

It's Tim from BackupAssist. Michael is away from the office at the moment.

For us to advise further, please send in system diagnostics for us to review the logs.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v9\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is up to 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Please can you tell which items I need to truncate in Temp so I can send the program data over to support, I under which items I need to truncate in Summaries, History and Reports.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by Stuart » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi RocknRollTim,

It's Stuart here.

To answer your question, you can remove any files which are dated older than one week from each of those folders that were listed. Typically we don't need to go back further than a week to see what's occurring.

Let us know if you have any issues with getting the diagnostics to us.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by RocknRollTim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:25 am

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for making that point clear to me, I'll now submit the logs over to support. Thank you for your help and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by TimN » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

We have received the diagnostic files that you submitted.

We will review the logs and provide feedback shortly.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by RocknRollTim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi Tim,

Thank you for keeping me posted and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by RocknRollTim » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I have managed to resolve this issue and it was due to the fact that I was pointing to an USB external drive that was no longer backing up after reviewing our backups.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

Return to Technical Support v8