Drive gets dismounted

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Drive gets dismounted

by dns » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm

After using Backup Assist for a while we had a sudden issue were the drive got dismounted during a backup and now trying to mount it there is a volsnap 82 error in Event Viewer:
"Volume G: is offline for shadow copy protection. A shadow copy meta data corruption was detected. Please try clearing the protection fault or restart the computer. If all else fails, revert out of shadow copy protection mode to reclaim the use of the volume while losing the shadow copies."

The computer (Windows Server 2008 R2) has been restarted with no luck. The drive comes up as RAW so no dskcheck or accessing the drive is possible. Tried internet research and points a lot to System Center DPM which we don't have.

Anyone come across this issue and ways to resolve it?
dns
User

Re: Drive gets dismounted

by casey.burns » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:49 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

From the sounds of it, you currently have SPM (Shadow Protection Mode) enabled in BackupAssist. To turn SPM off:
Open BackupAssist > Manage > double-click job > Imaging options.

Once you've turned off SPM, retry the backup and see if the problem continues.

If you already have SPM turned off, you'll need to send in a diagnostic through BackupAssist for further assistance.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by Stuart » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

I saw your post and figured I could help you past this. I encountered an issue the same within our testing environment today.
The only way to get past this is to run diskpart and clean the drive to allow SPM to release the drive so it can be used again.

I'd also review the following KB article regarding SPM and it's intended use: http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=3385.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by dns » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks, seems that disabling SPM worked for the future backups (on a new partition) and prevented the drive from becoming corrupted. Tried everything to get the old drive out of protection mode and working again but couldn't. Only option was to copy the content of the drive using recovery software (GetDataBack to be exact) and then delete the partition.
dns
User

Return to Technical Support v8