Setting up new media

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Setting up new media

by ctdak » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 am

We're a new BackupAssist customer, just installed v.9. I'm using a PowerVault RD1000 backup drive and have not yet run my first backup. In the process of creating my first backup job I set up my media pool, selecting a "Path on drive". After I was done I realized the path was not what I wanted. My question is: Can I manually change the path on each individual disk cartridge before starting to run backup jobs? I have already changed the "Path on drive" in the backup job itself to match the path I want to change to.
ctdak
User

Re: Setting up new media

by gsohal » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Hi There,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

With regards to your query, you can change/ update the path in the backup job.
The backup will be written to the same path every time on all cartridges.

I must also confirm that if you have different path for each cartridge then you will need to ensure that the "path on drive" option is updated before the backup is run.

It is not something we recommend as continuous updating of backup job can corrupt the configuration file.

If you face any issues then I'd suggest you submit the diagnostic report to support team with your query so we can review the configuration.
To submit the diagnostic report you will need to log in to BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support.

I hope it helps.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

by ctdak » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:52 am

Gagan,

Thanks for the reply. My first backup has run and I can now confirm that you are correct. Changing the backup job path and then manually changing the path on the new disk cartridge to match before the first backup ran worked just fine. I will now change the path on all my new cartridges to match before they are used.

I'm really curious though about your comment that the configuration file can be corrupted by making changes to the backup job. Does this only pertain to the changing the path, or making other changes as well? Are you saying that it's advisable to create a new job rather than make changes to an existing job?
ctdak
User

by casey.burns » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:29 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum. Gagan is currently unavailable, so I will be helping you with your query.

It is not known why some files are corrupted.

An extremely high percentage of users can edit their backup configuration many times and never have an error. Because of this, it is recommended that if you need to make a change just edit the configuration.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v9