Feature request: Improved reminder

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

Feature request: Improved reminder

by willw » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 am

Hi,

I am new to BackupAssist, and in most ways it is superior to our old script and jolly good, but in one respect it is not. This is: it always sends a reminder to check the media, even if the correct media has already been placed in the drive.

Would it be possible for BackupAssist, before sending a reminder, to check the drive and identify the media in it, and only send the reminder if it is absent or wrong? That way, we could suppress noise from emails telling us to do stuff we have already done.

Apologies if this is already implemented - I could not find it!

Regards

Will Watts
willw
User

Re: Feature request: Improved reminder

by michael.jones » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 am

Hello,

Thanks for sending in the request. One thing you might try is to re-prepare the media.

You should be able to re-prepare the media you have for use with BackupAssist and begin to use our program for backups.

This can ordinarily be done by going to the quick actions at the bottom of the left hand column when editing the backup job, and selecting 'Prepare media ‘ while the media is connected (note that this will normally have to be done only once for each piece of media in the pool).

If the prepare process fails, detailed information on Windows media management, including a tutorial on manually preparing the tapes (rarely necessary if the automatic preparation is successful) can be found here:

http://www.backupassist.com/downloads/mmwp.pdf
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by willw » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

My error - I misinterpreted the way the software was behaving - I thought it always sent a reminder e. In fact, it does indeed already do what I want.

<FX: slinks off in shame>

regards

Will
willw
User

by willw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 am

Hmmm - grovelling withdrawn. Tape detection doesn't seem to work reliably. I re-label every tape as it comes round, and it warns me that the tape already has a label on it. But next week it goes and prompts again.

Is there any way to interrogate the label on a tape? The pdf you pointed me to seems to refer to the Windows Removable Storage Manager, absent in Windows 2008 R2 (which is what I am using).

Regards

Will
willw
User

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests