Correct Version Purchase

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

Correct Version Purchase

by itiltd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 am

We're looking to migrate all our clients from Mozy Pro to BackupAssist.
I need to be able to backup User Files/Folders, MSSQL and MSExchange from remote sites to our data center via the internet.

Would the BackupAssist for RSync Standalone product provide all of this functionality or is that simply for file backups?
itiltd
User

Re: Correct Version Purchase

by Michael F » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:50 am

Hi,

Thank you for posting on our forum. I'm Michael Farquhar with the BackupAssist sales and support team.

When BackupAssist is installed on a SQL, SharePoint or Exchange server, you can use the VSS application backup and restore feature to backup the information store and databases. This feature is available in the following backup engines:

Zip
File Replication
Imaging
RSync

No additional licenses are required to use this feature besides a BackupAssist license (the RSync engine does require the RSync add-on or a RSync Standalone license ). For additional details on the VSS application backup and restore feature, just go here: http://www.backupassist.com/education/articles/vss-application-backup-and-restore.html (Note that this feature is not available on Server 2000 systems).

RSync has two licensing models. The RSync add-on requires a BackupAssist license be present. The RSync standalone license does not require a BackupAssist license. However when using the standalone licensing model, only the RSync engine can be used. This license type is provided for clients who already have a backup solution in place and only require the RSync engine.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have additional queries or comments - I'd be happy to help.
Kind regards,

Michael
Michael F
Cortex I.T.

by itiltd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Could you confirm how the RSync/VSS backup works for large databases?
After the initial complete backup, are the delta changes replicated across to the backed up copy so that a complete and accurate copy is maintained on the backup server?

Also, does the RSync Standalone Edition contain the VSS functionality?
itiltd
User

by itiltd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 am

Can nobody help with this? Its holding up my purchasing decisions. =/
itiltd
User

by Michael F » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:10 am

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry but didn't see that you had an unanswered question or I would of responded earlier.

RSync transfers only delta changes to files over the Internet. Another words, if only 20 MB have changed of a 10 GB SQL file, only 20 MB will be transferred over the Internet.
However the file on the RSync host will be 10 GB after the changes have been applied.

However RSync has to do a CHKSUM of both the source and destination files to determine the delta changes. The larger the backup file, the longer it takes to perform the transfer. We strongly recommend downloading our 30 day trial and testing our solution before making any purchasing decisions.

The RSync standalone license does allow you to use the VSS application backup and restore feature.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you have additional queries or comments - I'd be happy to help.
Kind regards,

Michael
Michael F
Cortex I.T.

by itiltd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am

I've been using the 30 day trial until it expired. I'm not trying to work out whether to buy your product; I'm trying to work out which of your products to buy.
I am wondering how the features of the RSync standalone version compare to the trial I was just using?

Essentially I need a backup solution for one server to backup to a remote destination.
This server has a large number of files on it that change daily.
It also has Exchange and so requires individual mailbox backup and/or mail store backup.
It may have SQL Server and would require SQL database backups/changes in the future.

For additional clients there may be multiple servers with distributed roles. 1 SQL, 1 Exchange, 1 File Server etc.

Which of your product suite would perform all of these tasks with the minimum bandwidth overhead after initial export?
Beyond that, I'll require some pricing for our various clients.

Thanks for your help.
itiltd
User

by Michael F » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to us.

RSync has two licensing models. The RSync add-on requires a BackupAssist license be present. The RSync standalone license does not require a BackupAssist license. However when using the standalone licensing model, only the RSync engine can be used. This license type is provided for clients who already have a backup solution in place and only require the RSync engine. You can not use any add-ons with a RSync Standalone license unless a BackupAssist license is present.

I recommend reading our licensing model quide lines and get back to us with any questions you might have. Details of our licensing model can be viewed here: http://www.backupassist.com/education/articles/faq-backupassist-licensing.html

To extend the trial period of BackupAssist, please email support@backupassist.com to request an extension key.

Kind regards,

Michael
Michael F
Cortex I.T.

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests