Are we going to see cloud storage support?

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

Are we going to see cloud storage support?

by corblimey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 am

It would be great to allow BA to interface to online storage.

I've asked about this in the past (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3287&p=10066&hilit=cloud#p10066) using rsync. As things have progressed I now see this as a somewhat clunky approach not suitable in the long term.

I'd prefer direct support for something like Amazon S3 (or any of the other major players) with a billing/management portal, similar to the Cloudberry products.

Being a solution provider it seems my future is all about selling reoccurring revenue and I will have to choose my product portfolio according. This has been rammed home recently with the inevitable news that MS is pulling SBS from it's server 2012 line-up; the staple many many small solution providers. Since BA is a product that seems to occupy this space it would also seem inevitable that licensing for the Exchange plug-in will shrink accordingly so a cloud storage plugi-in may be one way to plug the gap.
corblimey
User

Re: Are we going to see cloud storage support?

by corblimey » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:51 pm

I guess not... :cry:
corblimey
User

by corblimey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Sally

Thanks for getting back to me.

As I say it's a bit on the clunky side, reading their FAQ reveals a whole host of limitations

Eg. Their advice for getting round the 10 GB bucket size is to split your backup into jobs for folders no larger than 10 GB. imagine trying to backup 1TB using that procedure! You can't backup indiviual files larger than 10 GB either so that rules out most system images and virtual machine images.

I won't be selling that solution anytime soon.

What I'd like to see is support for S3 (or alternatives) built into BA similar to products like Cloudberry. If you've not ssen their products before it's worth a look, I'm sure there are alternatives out there that are just as good if not beeter but I just happen to be familiar with Cloudberry .
corblimey
User

by ewieldra » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:16 am

Hi,

Amazon announces AWS Glacier: Ultra low-cost cloud backup

Are we going to see support for their new product ?

Thnx

Best regards,

Emiel Wieldraaijer
ewieldra
User

by TimN » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Emiel,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

We do not have a built-in interface in BackupAssist specifically for backups to AWS glacier.

You should, however, be able to backup to an AWS Glacier container successfully using Rsync with BackupAssist.

Regards,

Tim.
TimN

by ewieldra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply

I will try

Best regards,

Emiel
ewieldra
User

by andy565 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Can i firstly say i am new to this forum and i have enjoyed surfing around.
Does anybody know the best place to get help and support with cloud storage?

by casey.burns » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Our support team is equipped to help troubleshoot the issues that may come up when using either our AmazonS3 cloud option, or our basic Rsync engine. If you have BackupAssist and you're having issues with either option, please don't hesitate to send us a diagnostic report so we may begin to help you resolve your issue. Here's how to send in a diagnostic:

To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the BackupAssist console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

With the Temp folder, it's the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by corblimey » Tue May 14, 2013 6:56 pm

I see the Server 2012 now has support for backing up to Azure.
corblimey
User

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests