What is the difference between the two "Ejects"?

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

What is the difference between the two "Ejects"?

by JBShope » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:29 am

Hi,

Trial user here... Could someone tell me the difference between the two "Ejects" that are available for selection in BA? Should they both be selected?

The first one is under > YourJob > Destination > Hard drive pool options > "Safely eject the hard drive after the backup has completed"
The second is under > YourJob > Scheduling > Customize schedule > "Eject after backup"

Regards,
~jim
JBShope
User

Re: What is the difference between the two "Ejects"?

by TimN » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Jim,

It's Tim from BackupAssist. Thanks for your post.

The option under: 'YourJob > Destination > Hard drive pool options > "Safely eject the hard drive after the backup has completed" ' will eject the backup media.

You can however, choose to disable this option for certain days if you wish to under: YourJob > Scheduling > Customize schedule > "Eject after backup"

To have your backup media ejected on all days, ensure that this is selected in both locations.

I hope this answers your question, Jim.

Let us know if you have further queries.

Kind regards,

Tim.
TimN

by JBShope » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:43 am

Hi,

Ok I guess that makes sense. Is that in the documentation somewhere and I missed it? If it's not it should be.

I have a new related question. When both "ejects" are checked the eSATA disk is ejected as expected. However there is a yellow triangle exclamation symbol next to the "Eject Media" line in the Recent jobs monitor. I would attach a pic but it looks like you have to have it posted somewhere first and use a URL link... yikes. The backup finishes up with a green check overall and there is no mention of an eject error in the Report.

Regards,
~jim
JBShope
User

by JBShope » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 am

Also I forgot to ask about another eject related question. According to the post below the drive letter is supposed to stay visible in explorer even after the eject!? I find that my disk when it is ejected DOES DISAPPEAR from explorer just as I would expect and when the backup runs again it is detected and brought online no problem as expected. Why am I seeing this behavior contrary to the info in the post?

http://www.backupassist.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3629&p=9216&hilit=eject#p9216

Regards,
~jim
JBShope
User

by michael.jones » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 am

Hello Craig,

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers, I work with Tim, and would like to help.
I am sorry that you are having an issue with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.
Would it be possible for you to send in a set of diagnostic information from BackupAssist?
To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp
With the Temp folder, it's the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained in it, you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

Should you have additional questions or concerns Craig, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support Office: New Albany, IN
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by JBShope » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:43 am

Just sent it...
~jim
JBShope
User

by JBShope » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi All,

UPDATE: Tim Nyanga from BA Tech support has responded to both of my posts and confirmed my findings (at least for 6.2.7) on the two issues listed below.

#1 The backup monitor is showing a "yellow exclamation triangle" indicating an error even if the backup finished and ejected properly and no error is logged in the job report.

#2 The post at http://www.backupassist.com/phpBB3/view ... ject#p9216 indicating that an ejected drive's letter will remain visible after ejecting is 100% INCORRECT.
The forum post that you referred to was unfortunately incorrect with reference to external hard drives.

Regards,
~jim
JBShope
User

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests