when bare metal restore off iSCSi will be released?

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

when bare metal restore off iSCSi will be released?

by gabriele » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi,
I read about an insteresting feature you are developing here (bare metal restore from an iSCSI connection) : http://www.backupassist.com/blog/dev/wi ... off-iscsi/
I would like to know when it will be officially released and if it would be possible to try this feature as a beta tester? I'd really like to have that kind of choice when doing a bare metal restore because many of my customer's backup on a NAS (or SAN) through an iSCSi connection.
Best regards
Gabriele
gabriele
User

Re: when bare metal restore off iSCSi will be released?

by Stuart » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Gabriele,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for you post.

The blog post which you're referring to is the 'proof of concept' that we're able to restore using an iSCSI target.
This is still in the infancy stage of development and will most probably be a feature within version 7 of BackupAssist.
My guess is that it's still at least 12 months away from being stable enough for a production environment.

When we are about to release version 7, we will put the call out for Beta testers - so feel free to sign up and have a go once this occurs.

If you have any questions or concerns about anything I've said, please don't hesitate to reply back to me; I'm more than happy to consider any feedback you have, or answer any questions.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by gabriele » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Stuart,
I guess it's a common problem because backup on a NAS via SMB does not mantain the history of the various VSS snapshot that are made so do you have any tested and documented workaround to do a bare metal restore from a backup that was made on an iSCSI targed?
Best regards
Gabriele
gabriele
User

by Stuart » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Hi again Gabriele,

As mentioned, we're at a very primitive stage with the iSCSI solution.
While we have tested it, we have not produced any documentation at this stage. It's all in house at the moment.
Once we get closer to an official release of this solution, we'll be producing user documentation as part of this.

Sorry that I'm not able to help any further with this at this stage Gabriele.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by chal.nikkal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 am

I'd really like to have that kind of choice when doing a bare metal restore because many of my customer's backup on a NAS (or SAN) through an iSCSi connection.??

We are the leading the world in providing best online spanish classes gre and study spanish prep solutions. Our incredible offers for brownsenglish
chal.nikkal
User

by Mike D » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:06 am

We have had the iSCSI restore option for Bare Metal Recovery since April 3, 2012 with the release of version 6.4.0. Here is the current RecoverAssist menu that shows the iSCSI option.

Thank You,
Mike Deaton
BackupAssist U.S. Help Desk Team Leader
US Support Office: Louisville, KY
+812-206-4265
helpdesk@backupassist.com
www.backupassist.com
Mike D
Cortex I.T.

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests