SFTP for destination for file replication backup

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

SFTP for destination for file replication backup

by Mike Nichols » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:04 am

RSYNC works well for backing up a set of data where individual backup files may have contents that change.

It is not ideal if you're backing up a set of data where you're only adding data and previous files that may already exist in the destination are large.

In my situation, i'm trying to replicate a file set where files are added but none that already exist ever change. Essentially i only need to send new files and delete anything on the destination that was deleted from the source.

Some of the files are very large, 500+ GB in size where i "seed" to the off site server using an external drive then pick up on replication over the internet.

It takes a very long time for RSYNC to scan the files to determine if it needs to be sent or not.

In this situation, i don't want it to do a block level replication, i'd be happy where if a file already exists with the same name in the destination it can be skipped.

It would be great if your product would offer a SFTP destination for a file replication backup, in my case a simple mirror.
It seems the only options for SFTP are ntbackup or ZIP which does not suit my needs for this project.

thank you.
Mike Nichols
User

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests