Problem with remotely backing up SQL 2005

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Problem with remotely backing up SQL 2005

Postby Steve McElheny » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 am

Problem with remotely backing up SQL 2005 with version 3.4.2. When trying to test settings and SQL communication, BackupAssist displays that the client tools need to be installed even though SQL 2005 developer edition is fully installed with client tools on the remote server. BackupAssist does work backup up SQL 2005 on the local server. To get around this I decided to buy BackupAssist for each of my servers and use my backup server as a NAS device. This still is a much better and easier solution than the $3000 I spent on BackupExec (which is now in my software drawer). One enhance that would help for those of us that have multiple servers, would be a report module that could be an add-on and would display reports and events in one console. I like the product so much that trail versions are installed at several of my outside clients.
Steve McElheny
User

Client Tools Installed

Postby Steve McElheny » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:47 am

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. The client tools are installed. This was not an upgrade from SQL 2000 to Sql 2005. It was a new install. I just wanted you to know so maybe you can have your lab set this up to test. We again changed to installing BackupAssist on the SQL server and use the other server just for storage of the backups.
Steve McElheny
User

Postby kcollins » Wed May 24, 2006 11:21 pm

Tim,

I'm seeing a problem similar to the one Steve encountered. I have installed the client on both the SQL Server and the BackupAssist machines. I've tried your test above and am able to successfully connect to the SQL Server via the TestSQL.udl.

When configuring the job, I'm able to successfully test settings and SQL Server communication. I receive the message "BackupAssist successfully communicated with the SQL Server."

However, when executing the job, I receive: "Error executing osql.exe - please ensure that the SQL Server Client Tools have been installed."

Any ideas?
kcollins
User

Re: Problem with remotely backing up SQL 2005

Postby davejevans » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:41 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to set up remote SQL backups with two Windows 2003 Server machines - a backup machine and an SQL server machine. When I try to test the SQL connection from within BackupAssist on the backup machine I get the "Error executing osql.exe - please ensure that the SQL Server Client Tools have been installed." message. When I do the same thing on the SQL server machine it works fine. I have tested the connection with the TestSQL.udl file as described above and it also works fine. Typing "osql" at a command prompt on the backup machine indicates that the executable is not in the path, whereas on the SQL server machine I get some missing parameter error message. SQL is not installed on the backup machine. Any suggestions? I installed the same way on both machines from an exe file (no CD). I am running version 3.4.4. If you are wondering why I am installing such an old version, I did have this working before, but because of a motherboard failure I am having to do a reinstall.

Thanks
Dave
davejevans
User

Postby davejevans » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Hi Raj,

I am installing BackupAssist from a .exe file and there is no separate option for installing the SQL client tools. However, as I said, I installed the same way on both the local and remote machines and the SQL client tools are definitely present on the remote machine, as typing "osql" at a command prompt gives an answer that indicates that osql is not unknown.

I have looked at the document you referred me to, but it didn't help with the issue I am having.

Regards,
Dave
davejevans
User

Postby davejevans » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:03 am

Thanks Tim. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I only work here one day per week. I have installed the client tools OK. I should read instructions more carefully!

I'll look into upgrading to version 4.

Regards,
Dave
davejevans
User

Return to Technical Support v3