0x800423f4 / VSS error

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

0x800423f4 / VSS error

Postby rhollingsead » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:15 am

A error message I am sure you are familiar with:

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
"MSDEWriter" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.

A couple of questions I had:

First, I'm on version 3.4.6.

1. I read that backing up SQL files will cause this error. While I am not running SQL, I am running MSDE on this server for Sharepoint services. The files I am test backing up do not contain this data.

2. If I purchased the SQL files addon would this make any difference? I understand that 3 is no longer being sold and that I would need to upgrade to v4 to do so.

While researching this, I tried the various suggestions (pre-backup stop and start of VSS, backing up a file that was not on a drive that contains a MSDE/SQL database, which failed as well) and I am also trying the re-register of the VSS, which I will do tonight as I have to reboot the server).

Also, this only happens when attempting to back up to tape - when backing up to disk, I have no issues with this.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan H.
rhollingsead
User

Re: 0x800423f4 / VSS error

Postby rhollingsead » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 am

Raj-

I have since found out that the other backup jobs are not set to backup the system state as it was previously causing an error - so this is why they always succeeded where mine failed. I set up a new backup job last night that would back up to disk and it failed with the same MSDE Writer error. When I asked about this, I was told about the system state issue and that they had seen something online referring to the fact that this is a Microsoft Backup issue. Can you confirm this, if you have seen/heard anything about that? I have just successfully run a tape job with no issues now that I turned off the System State backup.

I did re-register the DLL's for VSS and rebooted the server before I ran this new backup job that I created, so that did not work. For now, I can keep going on my backups without the System State, but is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Ryan H.
rhollingsead
User

Re: 0x800423f4 / VSS error

Postby rhollingsead » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 am

Raj-

Actually, I tried all those steps already. I found those in the other posts that were about the VSS error. Options 1 and 4 I did first, and option 2 is already taken care of as our server is on SP1. Option 3 I don't know that I can do anything about - as I mentioned before, we are also running Sharepoint Services 2.0 on this box, which uses the MSDE. So we aren't actually using a full version of SQL, but I'm wondering if this is what is causing the problem regardless. I have no way that I can find currently to change the databases to simple. Unless you have any other ideas, I'm thinking I'll have to wait until we migrate to Sharepoint 3.0/MOSS on another server and then we can reinstall Windows on our backup box and have only that running on it. As I said, if we don't get system state, it's not the end of the world - I'm more concerned about the data I'm backing up at this point.

As I said, any other ideas, let me know, otherwise I'll keep on this path for now. Thanks!

-Ryan
rhollingsead
User

Return to Technical Support v3