Span Multiple Tapes

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Span Multiple Tapes

Postby yoyoma » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 pm

:?:
Hi,

I'm now encountering Tape Full conditions and need some help.

If a tape fills up to capacity can backup assist span to multiple tapes? Can I have more than one tape drive with tapes loaded and span to them or does it have to be only to one particular tape drive?

Does anyone have any other suggestion on how to easily solve a tape capacity issue. I would prefer it be low cost.

Thanks
yoyoma
User

Postby Belinda » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi Yoyoma.

This is Belinda from BackupAssist support thanks for posting to our forums.

When you run out of tape space, one of two things can happen:

On Windows NT and 2000, the Backup program will pop up a window and ask you to place a new tape in the tape drive. You then have to put in a new tape and click OK. If you don't do this, then your backup will time out, and you will not be emailed the full report log

On Windows XP and 2003 Server, the backup process will stop and you will see an error message in the backup report.

We typically do not recommend spanning your backups across multiple tapes and instead suggest that you split your backups jobs - more information here: http://www.backupassist.com/KnowledgeBa ... BackupJobs

Using this method ensures that each backup is "complete" in itself, and if the tape for one backup job stops working, it won't affect the other tape. (On the other hand, if you have two tapes where one continues from the next, if the first tape becomes unreadable or is lost, the second tape is virtually useless).

If you have any further queries or enquiries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Belinda Francis
BackupAssist Support
support@backupassist.com
http://www.backupassist.com
Belinda
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v3