Tapedrives supported by BackupAssist

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Tapedrives supported by BackupAssist

Postby skywalkeriom » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:00 am

Can anyone advise what SDLT drives are supported by BackupAssist as I am trying now to configure a DELL SDLT 220gb drive which is detected under NTBACKUP but not by BackupAssist it is an external drive LVD correctly terminated on ID2
skywalkeriom
User

Postby skywalkeriom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:53 am

Hi.

OS is Windows XP Pro fully serviced packed
SDLT drive Quantum 220GB external
SCSI card Adaptec 2940uw
LVD cable and terminator.

Done some more research tonight tried my trusty Compaq 110/220 SDLT drive which is picked up as a Compaq SDLT 100 both on NTBACKUP and BackupAssist.

Quantum drive picked up as a Quantum 220 SDLT drive on NTBACKUP and not picked up at all on BackupAssist V4 trial version.

Uninstalled BackupAssist V4 and managed to get a trial version 3.4.6 from your New Zealand site. and installed.

I can confirm having checked the right drivers were installed for both SDLT drives that BackupAssist V3.4 picks up both the Compaq SDLT 110/220 and the Quantum SDLT 220. I tried the method of manually inserting the Tape device name and Media as suggested in another thread on the forum which still did not pick the Quantum drive up.(V4) hope this little bit of fault finding is of use to you and will stick to version 3.4.6 for the time being.

Regards Skywalkeriom
skywalkeriom
User

Postby skywalkeriom » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi, I recommended your software to a friend of mine who purchased the 3.4.6 version and has been using it for around a year now. As his data has outgrown his 4mm DAT drive I suggested to purchase an SDLT drive which from previous posts you can see I have had lots of issues with. To prevent disrupting his business I took the drive and installed it on my PC using your demo software to see if I had the same issues which I was. At the time I could only download V4 software and stumbled across your 3.4.6 version from your New Zealand site so I was able to compare your 2 versions of software with 3 different models of SDLT drives. I now have a result where Simon's PC is concerned and will be installing his SDLT solution this weekend. All I have to do is hope the dreaded VSS issues don't come back which he has had problems with. Strange thing is with the VSS problems I carried out all suggestions on this forum to no avail then decided to see if the VSS issues occurred with NTBACKUP and they did. Having disabled shadow copy in both applications I could get good backups with no performance hits on the processor. I then turned on VSS in your software after a reboot and it has been working fine since which I find rather strange. However if you wish for me to help in solving the issues with V4 up until the valuation copy expires I am more than happy to assist.

Regards Skywalkeriom
skywalkeriom
User

Return to Technical Support v3