Can you 'link' BA Jobs

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Can you 'link' BA Jobs

Postby WEBPC » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:43 am

I don't think this is possible but as I think it would be a good feature thought I would ask it anyway.

A client has a series of back up jobs in BA and wants to be able to run them one after another over the weekend. They want to keep the backups separate so making a monster backup job isn't an option. Is there a way of doing this? Maybe using a script?

I know I can schedule the jobs making an educated guess as to the time each would take, but it would be better if we could start one job as soon as the previous one has finished.

Antony
WEBPC
User

Postby WEBPC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 am

Hi Raj
I followed your instructions and linked 5 jobs together. However only the first job actually takes place. In the Event log the last entry is titled "Success executing post-backup script" and in the details it shows the following:

<-
BackupAssist successfully executed the following script:

@SET BACKUPASSIST_STATUS=1
@SET BACKUPASSIST_JOB_DESC=Full Back Up of WEBPC Data
@SET BACKUPASSIST_JOB_NAME=WEBPC Data
@SET BACKUPASSIST_FILENAME=F:\WEBPC\2007-02-24.bkf
@SET BACKUPASSIST_MEDIA_LABEL=Saturday
@echo off
REM
REM BackupAssist - post-backup script
REM
REM Environment variables:
REM %BACKUPASSIST_JOB_NAME% - the name of this backup job
REM %BACKUPASSIST_JOB_DESC% - the description of this backup job
REM %BACKUPASSIST_STATUS% - the status of the last backup
REM where 0 means failure, and 1 means success
REM %BACKUPASSIST_FILENAME% - when backing up to file, the full
REM path to the backup file
REM %BACKUPASSIST_MEDIA_LABEL% - the media label
REM
REM This sample script shows how to run different commands depending
REM on whether a backup succeeded or failed.
REM

if %BACKUPASSIST_STATUS% == 0 goto ERROR_COMMANDS

:SUCCESS_COMMANDS
REM ---> Backup succeeded. Insert commands here

goto END

:ERROR_COMMANDS
REM ---> Backup failed. Insert commands here

:END
REM ---> Insert any final commands here that are executed for both successful and failed backups.
start "Backup" "C:\Program Files\BackupAssist\BALauncher.exe" 2
-->

I have checked the path to BALauncher.exe and it is right with our set up. The system event logs don't show any errors either and the first job finished successfully.

Any idea on what is going wrong?
Antony
WEBPC
User

Postby WEBPC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:21 am

Hi Raj
I think I have found the problem. when I try running the script command from the command prompt The following error is shown in a dialog box "The backup cannt start because the backup is configured incorrectly. No backups are scheduled. Please run the BackupAssist Administration Console, click the schedule tab, and select one of the backup schemes to fix this problem".
It looks like having the other jobs suspended mean they cannot be run from the command line.
I am going to try playing around to see if I can find any workaround.
Antony
WEBPC
User

Postby WEBPC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:45 am

OK... from what I can ascertain each job you want to run using the command line must have in its Backup Schedule the day of the week selected as well as the appropriate method/mode/eject options set for the day that the job is going to be called on via a script.
I have enabled every day for the jobs but left the job suspended and will see if the scheduled job runs when no one is logged in and each job called by the script.
The next scheduled run is Saturday AM so I will let you know how that goes.
Antony
WEBPC
User

Postby WEBPC » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:42 am

Success!
for reference when linking jobs in this way each job has to have a schedule for the day the originating job is run.
Antony
WEBPC
User

BackupAssist: Post tech doc for Cascading jobs?

Postby fdevault » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:33 am

Thanks for sharing this problem and getting a critical requirement nailed down.

Cascading jobs is a requirement for me as well. In my case, I ran into the same problem because I tend to kick off my backup jobs after midnight, and I skip backups on the off-day following full backups.

For example, Saturday is a full backup day and Sundays are not scheduled. The first Saturday Full kicks off at 12:15AM on Sunday, runs fine, but the cascaded jobs don't start because it's now Sunday and they aren't scheduled.

Solution is to add a Full Sunday backup to the job schedule, while leaving the job disabled.

Slightly counter-intuitive but it gets the job done. (Pun intended.)

It would be nice if an official tech doc detailing these procedures and requirements were drafted. Even nicer would be a check box or similar control which allowed GUI configuration of cascaded jobs.

Cascading jobs is invaluable for a number of reasons, including the fact that splitting jobs is the simplest way to split the backed up data into different BKF files when backing up to file. A lot of my customers have 100GB or more of data and I like to keep this segregated from the System backups.

Thanks again to Antony and Raj for nailing this down.
fdevault
User

Return to Technical Support v3