Replacing OS RAID Set using RecoverAssist

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Replacing OS RAID Set using RecoverAssist

by dslee » Mon May 23, 2016 3:55 am

I have a 2008R2 Hyper-V Host with 4 RAID1 sets, and I need to replace the drives in the Boot set.

Can I do a 'bare metal' backup selecting only the additional data partitions that are part of that RAID set (there's one), and not backup up any of the other data partitions that are on the other RAID sets?

The RecoverAssist 'Back up considerations' in the user guide state 'The backup must be a full image back of the computer', and 'For example, the computer's settings and operating system (as well as the data) must be in the backup'.

Except backing up all the data partitions and then restoring the entire server will add hours to the job.

Or should I just use another imaging tool, like Boot It NG?
Cheers,

David Lee
DigiVie Communications
Ottawa, Canada
dslee
User

Re: Replacing OS RAID Set using RecoverAssist

by Stuart » Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

Basically any volume marked as critical by Windows will be required to be backed up and recovered for a successful bare metal recovery.

You'll need to have all volumes backed up for the backup to even be able to be read with RecoverAssist or Windows Recovery Environment.
You can check your backups to make sure they're bare metal capable just by following the steps on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmzU2jqZgo.

However if you're wanting to exclude data from your backup and not be worried if you can perform a full bare metal recovery, then there may be better tools in being able to achieve this.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v9