Resolved - RecoverAssist media problem

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Resolved - RecoverAssist media problem

by dishapaun » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 am

I created bootable recovery media with RecoverAssist Builder v1.0.5788 in February. I tested it on several different computers and it booted without any problems. Tested again today and worked fine.

As a part of DR procedure I have created bootable mediums (usb flash and dvd) with RecoverAssist Builder v1.0.5857 but when I tried to boot with it on every computer I received the same error:

dishapaun
User

Re: RecoverAssist media problem

by Stuart » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:31 am

Hi there dishapaun,

It's Stuart here.

Can I get you to have a look at the following thread regarding posting on the forum? https://www.backupassist.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7940

To help you, we need at the very least the operating system you're recovering, is it 32 or 64 bit, the specific hardware configuration such as manufacturer, model number of the motherboard(s), CPU(s), etc.

Did you recreate the RecoverAssist media using v1.0.5788 or did you try the same media from February? If you have just used what you have previously created in Feb, can you try re-creating RA using v1.0.5788 using the current Windows configuration the system is running?

Regardless of version used for RecoverAssist, it is highly dependent on the system .dll files of the OS at the time of creation. Windows Updates during the period from Feb to April may have updated/changed .dll files which are required and RA v1.0.5857 media is using these new .dll files which are the cause of the boot errors.

If v1.0.5788 fails after being recreated on the system today, then the issue is specific to the installation of Windows which you're recovering and not RecoverAssist.

Once the recovery process has completed and the system reboots, anything that occurs is outside of RecoverAssist and specific to the Windows installation itself.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by dishapaun » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for the answer. I'll try to be more precise.

Stuart wrote:Did you recreate the RecoverAssist media using v1.0.5788 or did you try the same media from February? If you have just used what you have previously created in Feb, can you try re-creating RA using v1.0.5788 using the current Windows configuration the system is running?

Regardless of version used for RecoverAssist, it is highly dependent on the system .dll files of the OS at the time of creation. Windows Updates during the period from Feb to April may have updated/changed .dll files which are required and RA v1.0.5857 media is using these new .dll files which are the cause of the boot errors.

If v1.0.5788 fails after being recreated on the system today, then the issue is specific to the installation of Windows which you're recovering and not RecoverAssist.

I didn't recreate media, I used media from February just for the test because newly created media halts when booting to recovery environment.
Even If I want to recreate media I don't have access to RA v1.0.5788 anymore, the only version I have is v1.0.5857 included in BA 9.2.3.

Stuart wrote:Once the recovery process has completed and the system reboots, anything that occurs is outside of RecoverAssist and specific to the Windows installation itself.

I didn't even reach recovery environment. I get progress bar, Windows logo and then receive the error.

With old recovery disk I got to the recovery environment normally and after that preformed successfull server recovery on different hardware.

I suppose that booting in recovery enviroment should be independent of underlying hardware?

System:

Primary system:
Hyper-V Cluster
BA: 9.2.3
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2420 v2
32BG RAM

Recovery system:
Intel i5
8 GB RAM
dishapaun
User

by Stuart » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:01 am

Hi again Dishapaun,

When you created the media through v9.2.3, did you use the option to create it through the installed OS or from a Windows installation disc?

If it's not even getting to the point where it's booting into RecoverAssist, then it could also be something to do with the media used.
I've reviewed the changes that have gone into RecoverAssist between the two versions and there is no changes to any boot methods - therefore it must be something environmental (as I mentioned, if you created the boot media from the installed OS, then it'll have different .dll files due to Windows Updates which have been performed).

What I'd try is creating the RecoverAssist media from a stock Microsoft issued Server 2012 R2 installation disc (not OEM version discs which typically distributed from hardware manufactures such as Dell or HP).
If that's not available then try create the RA media from a different Server 2012 R2 machine to that which you've used previously.

If this doesn't work, please contact our support team directly and we'll be able to work on this further with you.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by dishapaun » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:16 am

I created Recovery media from Server 2012 R2 iso and everything worked like a charm. Obviously, the problem is with updated dlls in server installation.

Thanks for your support.
dishapaun
User

RecoverAssist boot error 0x00000100

by kenc » Sat May 21, 2016 11:44 pm

I've got a server (2012 v2) running BA 9.3.0 (Licensed)

I've created a recovery DVD however upon testing the DVD the agent errors out before loading:

Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code: 0x00000100
Parameters:
0x0000000000000006
0x0000000000000003
0x0000000000000128
0x0000000000000988

Any assistance / insight would be greatly appreciated.

KC
kenc
User

Re: RecoverAssist boot error 0x00000100

by Stuart » Mon May 23, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Ken,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

I've merged your thread with another which has the same issue reported.

Have you tried building RecoverAssist from the Windows installation disk to see if this resolves the issue?
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Re: Resolved - RecoverAssist media problem

by kenc » Mon May 23, 2016 6:13 pm

Stuart,

I will give it a try and let you know

As an added note, this does not appear to be an issue with BA. Other packages are experiencing the issue as well
It seems that a security update might be to blame

Ken
kenc
User

Return to Technical Support v9