Installation problem

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Installation problem

by dishapaun » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40 am

BA 9.2.0 is installed on Server 2012 R2. When I try to update to the newest version as domain admin I receive error from the image:

I have checked knowledge base and forum but whathever I have found regarding this error didn't work.
dishapaun
User

Re: Installation problem

by Stuart » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

The error you're receiving is due to the user running the installation process doesn't have enough access to complete the installation process successfully.

Have you tried right clicking the BackupAssist installation file and selecting 'Run as Administrator' to see if this helps?

If this doesn't work, then please log in as the local administrator/domain administrator account and try and install the software again.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by dishapaun » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Stuart wrote:Hi there,
Have you tried right clicking the BackupAssist installation file and selecting 'Run as Administrator' to see if this helps?

If this doesn't work, then please log in as the local administrator/domain administrator account and try and install the software again.

Hello Stuart,

I have already tried installation as domain admin, and Run as Administrator (as Domain admin) but I receive the same error. That is why I need support :-)
dishapaun
User

by casey.burns » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:44 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

If none of the suggested resolutions has helped, then you may have to try taking a different look.

If you open Windows Programs and Features, does it show BackupAssist as a program that can be uninstalled? If so, then there's some sort of an account problem and there's an extremely high possibility that user credentials (or lack thereof) are the problem.

If the Programs and Features area does not show BA as an uninstallable program, then you're most likely running into a known limitation with Server 2012 systems and BackupAssist. The problem is because of the way Server 2012 operates, if you attempt to install an update of BA and you are NOT logged in as the same user in which the software was installed - you'll receive this error message. You'll need to login as the user in which the software was installed on and complete the update from there.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by dishapaun » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:41 am

Hi Casey,

There is no BA in Programs and features. Update as different user didn't work. I tried to uninstall it via command line but it is not possible. BA does not exist for the operating system as a result of unsuccessful upgrade, but still exists in registry as old 9.2.0 version.

Is there a way to remove forcibly BA leftovers or please give me link to download 9.2.0 because I can't find it on BA website.

dishapaun
User

by casey.burns » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:15 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

If BA isn't in the Programs and Features, you must login as the user in which BA was installed on and try the update. Logging on as just any user will not work correctly.

If this can't be done, you can try the following suggestion to completely remove and reinstall the software:

- Remove the BackupAssist folders from the Program Files (x86) and ProgramData folders.
- Search the registry for any key involving BackupAssist or CortexIT, and delete them once found.
- Remove the service through command line by using the SC command. The service name is zBackupAssistService. If you need help using this command, go to this link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 42045.aspx
- Remove .Net 4.0.
- Once all this is completed, I have a special version of BackupAssist I would like for you install a specific version of BackupAssist that will not only install the software, but it will re-install .Net at the same time. You can find this version here: http://downloads.backupassist.com/9.2.2 ... _nonet.exe
- Restart the system, and then use the software as you normally would.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by dishapaun » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:14 am

Hi Casey,
It worked. Thank you for your support.
dishapaun
User

Return to Technical Support v9