RDX throught network share

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

RDX throught network share

by nicola.farina » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:23 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a backup task (archive) to RDX connected through a QNAP NAS usb share (f.e. \\NAS0\RDX-500).

The share on the NAS is set to allow access R/W to a user (f.e. backup), but in Backup Assist seems there's no way to set authentication for a remote RDX.

I've tried to save the credentials in Windows, and retest the connection with BA: BA says that can't connect, but when I skip the media access check and try to prepare the media, I see BA files on the shared RDX (even though BA says that the preparation failed).

I ended to set up the task to standard network share instead of RDX, but in this way I lost the labeling media feature.

Any help?

Regards.
nicola.farina
User

Re: RDX throught network share

by Stuart » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

While it is possible to do what you've asked, it's not recommended as it can cause issues with your data in a restore situation.

When you connect removable hardware to a NAS device, BackupAssist just believes this is a standard network share and will treat it as one. The way you're wanting to use the software is not how it was designed to such a destination.

If you're wanting to use the RDX drive as an RDX drive within BackupAssist - this must be connected to the local machine BackupAssist is installed on.
Otherwise you will be unable to use all the functionality that's available - just as you have run into in this instance.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Re: RDX throught network share

by nicola.farina » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 am

All clear,

thank you for your feedback.
nicola.farina
User

Return to Technical Support v9