SQL backups to Qnap possible?

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

SQL backups to Qnap possible?

by felyrion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Is there any way to use a Qnap NAS as a backup location for SQL backups?

Right now we made a two-step process of backupping the SQL databases to a temporary spot on the server and then another job for backing that folder up to the Qnap.
Why can't this be one step?

(when I map the Qnap to a drive on the server and pick that as target, BA will throw an error like "destination folder does not exist", I assume this behaviour is by design since file backups use the Qnap fine, but I don't understand why).
felyrion
User

Re: SQL backups to Qnap possible?

by michael.jones » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:05 pm

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support.

What I have found the issue to be on most SQL destination errors it is an issue with the SQL server not having the permission needed to write to the destination.
This is because the SQL server writes the backup file, not BackupAssist, and the SQL server is running as a local system account and does not have
permission to write the file to a network location.

Can you go to the SQL server service and change the login on the service to run as the domain administrator instead of the local system logon?
This will not take effect until you stop and start the SQL service.

Note that if you are backing up to a network location that is not part of your domain this will not work because you will not have a user that has the permissions
to both run the SQL server and backup to the network location so you will need to backup to a local destination first then backup that file to the NAS.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Re: SQL backups to Qnap possible?

by felyrion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:30 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll get to work with this information and see if we can figure something out.
felyrion
User

Return to Technical Support v9