Backing up SQL Express Database

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Backing up SQL Express Database

by bniknar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:10 pm

My environment:

BackupAssist 9.5.5
    Nightly File Backups
    Singe Instance Store
    Backup to a Linux NAS
    Server is Windows Server 2012R2
    Database is SQL Server Express
    VSS copy enabled

It's been working well - only changed files are backed-up to the the single instance store. I usually get the database files backed-up every night. However, after a server reboot, plus an upgrade from BackupAssist 9.2.2 to 9.2.5, the database is no longer backing up. I looked at the dates on the database files in Windows Explorer and they remain stamped 9/28/17 @ 9pm, which was the date of the reboot (the date of this post is 10/5/17). Database access is working fine, and the BackupAssist report shows under "VSS Application Backup" that SQL Server Express was backed-up.

However the files in my single instance store are stamped 9/28/17 @ 9pm...so where is my recent data? The database is working great, so I don't understand. This is very concerning because I don't want to miss backing up my data! Any suggestions?
bniknar
User

Re: Backing up SQL Express Database

by RobertoPuglielli » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi there

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. Have you been able to tested any backups reported as successful by trying to restore them? The backed up data itself may not have changed and only links to the backed up data may exist.

Can you please submit diagnostics with the previous backups to allow us to investigate further the issues you're experiencing.

The steps to do this are as follows:
1. Open BackupAssist.
2. Click on the Help menu across the top of the console.
3. Click on Contact Support.
4. Enter the details asked for:

Valid E-mail Address: (so we know where to send our answer to your question).
Subject: Brief overview of your query.

Message: A detailed overview of exactly what your query is about. The more information you give here will make it easier for our support team to assist you.

Make sure the tick box stating 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query' is ticked and this will zip all your BackupAssist settings so that we can review these specifically for your environment.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

Browse to the following folder on your system:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)

Look for a file named BackupAssistDiagnostics.zip and send this to us directly.

If you find that this file is too large to email directly; please upload directly to our support team via http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.
Please note that there is a 50MB file size limit.

If you have issues getting the diagnostics across to us, then please let us know as we'll need to find an alternative way to receive these.

Please feel free to contact me should you have additional queries or comments - I'd be glad to assist you.

Kind regards,
Roberto Puglielli

BackupAssist Technical Support
+613 - 9899 4681
support@backupassist.com
http://www.backupassist.com
RobertoPuglielli
User

Return to Technical Support v9