restore from USB using alternate BA console

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

restore from USB using alternate BA console

by benzina » Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 am

I have BA 9.5.4 installed on 2 consoles at separate locations. I backup each to local USB drives and encrypt using Bit Locker. I want to have location_2 read the drive from location_1 and allow me to restore those files to location_2.

I attached the USB drive from location_1 at location_2. I decrypted the drive with the pw. I expected to be able to have BA index the drive for restore but I'm thus far unable.

How do I do this?

Thank you.
Nicole
benzina
User

Re: restore from USB using alternate BA console

by michael.jones » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Hello,

Since there is no corresponding catalogue for backup 1 at location 2, you would need to manually add a backup from a non-catalogued destination.

To restore Local and Network Files, follow these steps:

Select the Restore tab
The Restore tab has a Home page and a Tools page. The Home page is the default page and the recommended starting point for performing a restore. The Tools page should only be used by experienced users or with the assistance of technical support.

Select Local and Network Files
This step starts the guided restore process and will take you to the Local and Network Files restore screen. There is a Learn more about Restore link at the bottom of the screen.

ClosedShow more
Select the backup
To select the backup that you want to restore from, click on a backup’s name. This will open the Integrated Restore Console (IRC). The Integrated Restore Console is used to select the data to be restored, where to restore it to and the restore conditions.

OpenShow more
Backup selection

This screen shows the volumes backed up by this installation of BackupAssist. It can also show backups from other machines added using the Discover Backups button.

There are tabs above each volume’s backup list that can be used to filter the list of backups shown. Using these filters will help in locating the required backup.

The display tabs available are:

All - shows all backups available.
The Last 7 days and Last 30 days tabs - will display the backups within those ranges.
Custom - allows you to select a specific date range and display backups for that period.
The Search option allows you to locate files across a selection of backups and to refine those results using filters such as the file's creation time and the file's size.

OpenShow more
Backup Search

When you select theSearch button, the Search screen will appear.

The Backups section allows you to use the Jobs filter to limit the search to specific backup jobs. You can also use the Backup date filter to search within a specified date range.
The Search section is used to enter a the name or part of the name of the file you want to find. The Search for field will take the string provided and search for occurrences of that string within a file or directory name. The results of the search are displayed by backup.
To refine the search, use the Created, Modified and Size options. Ticking any of these options will activate a drop down list of variables to select from. The Created and Modified options allow you to select a date using the Calendar selection fields. Size allows you to select a file size in bytes.

The Discover Backups option allows you to add and restore from backups created by other installations of BackupAssist and backups made by local jobs that have been deleted.

OpenShow more
Discover backups

When you select the Discover Backups button, the Discover Backups screen will appear.

If you select Show manually added backups, backups from other BackupAssist installations that were added using the + option will be available when you go back to the main restore screen.
If you select Show backups made by deleted jobs, backups made by deleted backup jobs will be displayed and available when you go back to the main restore screen.
If you select Show backups made by existing jobs, only backups made by the current list of local backup jobs will be shown. This is the default list you saw before using the Discover Backups option.
Selecting the plus symbol will open a browse dialog that can be used to locate backups made by other BackupAssist installations and add them to the Discover Backups screen.
Selecting the cloud symbol will open a dialog from where you can select and configure the cloud destination that you want to restore from. This option allows you to restore from a backup created on another machine or a deleted job.
Selecting Delete, removes any selected backups that were added using the + option.
Selecting only one of these options means only those backups will be shown when you go back to the main restore screen. Combinations of these 3 options can be selected to get the set of backups that you want.
https://www.backupassist.com/support/en ... -files.htm
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v9