on using multiple removable disks

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

on using multiple removable disks

by selva » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:17 am

Hi,

I am evaluating BA to migrate out of backupexec where we use multiple removable disks as the backup target and have a few questions. I have the trial version but can't test all scenarios as we do not have enough spare disks to do tests.

- Can we add current disks as the destination one at a time over a few weeks (these are kept offisite and brought in only weekly) and start the backup before all disks are prepared?
- Does preparing the disks remove existing content of these disks (we have our current backup files in them)

I plan to use a few backup jobs defined for the same source: (i) a copy backup every day to a shared folder (ii) a file protection backup targeted to a set of disks out of which only one will be online at a time and (iii) a file archive backup to another disk. Is archive bit used in these backups -- if so will it interfere with having backups going to different disks and multiple types of backups being done on different days?

Any input on a the best strategy for file based backup with a mirror onsite and files with history on rotating disks will be appreciated. We do not want to label disks as weekly1, weekly2 etc as in that case the backup will fail (will it?) if we miss to rotate the disk a particular week for some reason. We want to treat all removable disks as equivalent with each containing a full backup and differentials referencing the relevant full backup (single instance store). Is that possible?

We also plan to do image backups to a NAS but that looks straightforward to implement.

Sorry for too many questions.

Thanks.
selva
User

Re: on using multiple removable disks

by michael.jones » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:41 am

Hello,

Let me see if I can address your questions:

- Can we add current disks as the destination one at a time over a few weeks (these are kept offisite and brought in only weekly) and start the backup before all disks are prepared?
Sure, no problem. You just have to edit the job and select the prepare media option along the top of the screen.

- Does preparing the disks remove existing content of these disks (we have our current backup files in them) Nope, it only writes a label on the header of the drive.

I plan to use a few backup jobs defined for the same source: (i) a copy backup every day to a shared folder (ii) a file protection backup targeted to a set of disks out of which only one will be online at a time and (iii) a file archive backup to another disk. Is archive bit used in these backups Yes for the Archive/ZIp backup option. File Protection and Rsync backups look at the last changed date of the file to determine if it should be backed up.

-- if so will it interfere with having backups going to different disks and multiple types of backups being done on different days? No, it would only be a concern if you were running multiple backups to the same destination of the same data, on the same day.

Any input on a the best strategy for file based backup with a mirror onsite and files with history on rotating disks will be appreciated. We do not want to label disks as weekly1, weekly2 etc as in that case the backup will fail (will it?) if we miss to rotate the disk a particular week for some reason. We want to treat all removable disks as equivalent with each containing a full backup and differentials referencing the relevant full backup (single instance store). Is that possible? No, at this point we're dealing with subtlety's that are just too far afield to effective work it out through a Forum post. Give us a call and we can talk it out. If it is more convenient for you, let me know a number and a time and I can call you, within our business hours here in the US EDT.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Re: on using multiple removable disks

by selva » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks a lot for your response. I'll give you call to discuss this further.
selva
User

Return to Technical Support v9