Deleting Old Backups from Single Instance Store

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Deleting Old Backups from Single Instance Store

by bniknar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 am

I need to delete old backups to free-up a big chunk of space. What's the process of doing this w/o invalidating the most recent backups? Note that this is a Single Instance backup store.

Thanks!
bniknar
User

Re: Deleting Old Backups from Single Instance Store

by TimN » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

You can manually delete the older backups via Windows explorer or use a 3rd party tool to remove the older backups.

Note that deleting the backups manually via Windows explorer may be slow due to the need to update the Single Instance Store hard links.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by bniknar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 am

Thanks for your reply Tim, that helps.

Two related questions:

1. What's the impact to the backups if I erase the first/original backup in the single instance store? I assume that the next (tonight's) backup will be a full backup, and the hard links in the previous backups will point to this new full backup? Please advise.

2. A related question on single instance stores: I see the option (under Replication Options) called Single Instancestore Options, which is about the maximum number of hard links to a file. I currently have it set to 100. What happens after 100 is reached?

Thank you.
bniknar
User

by TimN » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 am

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist. I have provided answers to your queries below:

1. What's the impact to the backups if I erase the first/original backup in the single instance store? I assume that the next (tonight's) backup will be a full backup, and the hard links in the previous backups will point to this new full backup? Please advise.

- The Single Instance Store process will update the hard links if you delete the oldest backup. The following article explains how Single Instance Store manages deleted folders: https://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppo ... ard-links/

2. A related question on single instance stores: I see the option (under Replication Options) called Single Instance store Options, which is about the maximum number of hard links to a file. I currently have it set to 100. What happens after 100 is reached?

- After 100 hard links to an unchanged file are reached, the file will be transferred again even though it has not changed. The option gives you the chance to limit the number of hard links created to a file to avoid the backup slowing down over time due to a large number of hard links if a file has not changed for a very long time.

I hope this helps,

Tim
TimN

by bniknar » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 am

This does help, thank you.
bniknar
User

Return to Technical Support v9