Newbie questions about backup and syncing

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Newbie questions about backup and syncing

by mwr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 am

I currently backup my desktop (Windows) computer to an external hard drive using WD (Western Digital) SmartWare. It backs up fine, including all the thousands of temp files created, but doesn't remove those temp files from the external hard drive when they are automatically removed from the computer. So I have to do that via a bat file.

I'll soon be getting a new laptop to replace my tower desktop computer and want to get it started right. I'd like to backup to the external hard drive but also have it sync to the laptop so that when any files on the laptop are deleted, moved, or renamed, that is automatically done to the external hard drive. Is that what BackupAssist software does?

I'd also like to backup (sync, as above) to the cloud. Would BackupAssist software do that?

All comments appreciated!
mwr
User

Re: Newbie questions about backup and syncing

by Stuart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here, thanks for posting on our forum.

From the sounds of what you're looking for; BackupAssist will do what you're wanting - however it may not be the most ideal solution for the situation you've outlined.
You can configure a backup job to backup the files to the hard drive fine - however this will run on a daily schedule (run once a day) which will include all the change situations you've mentioned.

You may find that an live-sync type solution that will replicate changes as they occur is more what you're looking for.

BackupAssist is able to run backups directly to the cloud using the Rsync protocol. However; as mentioned above this will be on a schedule basis and not a live-sync task.
More information about BackupAssist and Rsync can be found at https://www.backupassist.com/education/ ... guide.html.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v9