System Protection Backup to Remote VHDX Image

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

System Protection Backup to Remote VHDX Image

by bniknar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:26 am

Hello,

BackupAssist is working great. It's performing nightly System Protection backups to a VHDX image. The image is 1.5TB (on a NAS), the initial backup took 6 hours however each nightly is about 18 minutes according to the backup reports, which makes sense as there aren't a lot of daily changes to data files. Love the incremental backups.

My question: I'd like to move the NAS to a remote office that's on a VPN WAN, and continue the incremental nightly backups to that location. That means that BackupAssist will need to mount the VHDX over the VPN. Will that work for incremental backups? What issues could occur that I'd need to be careful of outside of general availability of the WAN connection?

Thank you.
bniknar
User

Re: System Protection Backup to Remote VHDX Image

by casey.burns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:45 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Backing up through VPN is a supported backup destination. The important part of this, however, is the strength of the VPN. If you have a VPN connection that doesn't work well and is disconnecting on any kind of regular basis, the disk won't stay mounted and the backups will fail.

Beyond that, it's not much different than a backup on the LAN. You'll just have to keep in mind that your backup speed is likely to decrease since you're no longer backing up locally.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v9