Scheduling an odd Backup

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

Scheduling an odd Backup

by mkhatib » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:44 am

Hi,

I have a client who (to put it politely) is very lazy to change the backup cartridge. This is a senerio of how he would like to implement the backup -

He has two RDX 2TB cartridges and would like to leave the cartridge for the whole week while doing daily backup and at the end of the week have it eject and put in the second cartridge to do the following week then eject that cartridge end of the following week and then start the cycle again. I strongly recommended against doing that for obvious reasons but it's just plain laziness on his part (I just can't understand) so my question is this -

is there a way to schedule the backup for two cartridges and do a daily backup without ejecting the cartridge until the end of the week? and then start the second cycle and so on. I can't figure out how to do a daily backup for a week without either ejecting everyday or not ejecting at all. I hope this makes sense, here is an example -

Week 1 - (1st cartridge)
Monday backup (don't eject)
Tuesday backup (don't eject)
Wednesday backup (don't eject)
Thursday backup (don't eject)
Friday backup (Eject)

Week 2 - (2nd cartridge)
Repeat the above cycle

Week 3 - (1st cartridge)
Repeat the above cycle

and so on..

I hope there is a way to do this. If not maybe suggest a better way that would make a lazy client happy and get some protection.

Thanks,
Mazen
mkhatib
User

Re: Scheduling an odd Backup

by michael.jones » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:43 am

Hello,

Surely, just select a system protection backup, select external disk as a destination, then select the daily backup, weekly rotating full schedule option.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by mkhatib » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,

Ok I am trying what you said but must be confused. If I understand you correctly I would select Daily + weekly rotating full? When I select that the next screen ask Number of Disk for Daily and Number of Disck for weekly backup so do I just put two for dialy and 0 for weekly since we only have 2 cartridges for daily backup? And by doing so will it keep the cartridge in the drive until the end of the week and then eject it at the end of the week?

Thanks.
mkhatib
User

by TimN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Mazen,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

In order to run daily backups and swap the media, you will need to select the 'Daily backup Weekly rotating full' backup scheme.

This will backup to one disk and expect the disk to be swapped over for the next week of backups.

Note that the backup will also ask you to select a day on which to swap the backup disk.

Unfortunately there is no option to only eject the disk at the end of the week.

You can also set up Reminder notifications in BackupAssist to remind the user to swap the backup media each week.

I hope this helps, Mazen.
TimN

Return to Technical Support v9