How to EXCLUDE exchange from SBS 2008 backup

The place to discuss any technical issues or suggestions in relation to BackupAssist v9.

How to EXCLUDE exchange from SBS 2008 backup

by bluelights » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 am

Hi

Hoping someone can advise, recently we moved a clients onsite exchange over to a hosted exchange platform, therefore the SBS2008 server with built in exchange is no longer needed, i have disabled the services however in the job i cannot seem to exclude exchange from the backup therefore every report comes back with Major warnings.

in the report under selection check: BA720 Selected VSS Writer does not exist

any idea's would be very welcomed.

Nick
bluelights
User

Re: How to EXCLUDE exchange from SBS 2008 backup

by casey.burns » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:33 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

If you would like to exclude Exchange (or anything else in the backup), you'll need to open BackupAssist > Manage > double-click job > Files and applications.

Uncheck the box regarding Exchange and then apply your settings.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by bluelights » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:05 am

Hi Casey

The problem is there is no option to exclude exchange, do i need to restart the Exchange services, then open the backup assist console and see if it is listed?

not sure how to add a screenshot to the post!
bluelights
User

by Stuart » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here.

If you're performing a System Protection backup which is capable of a bare metal recovery, then you won't be able to exclude Exchange from the backup.
The reason for this is that it's a core component of SBS 2008 which Windows deems as critical for a full bare metal recovery to be completed.

The only way you'd be able to exclude this is by selecting the radio button 'Back up selected items only' and then deselecting Exchange.
However by doing this; we can no longer guarantee that you're able to perform a bare metal recovery using these backups.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v9