Deleting Data Container

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Deleting Data Container

by sygenltd » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi,
We've had issues with our exchange backup, with it failing for various reasons, but when it fails it seems to keep the data container open so when we re-run the backup it cannot re-mount the data container. I also have one data container which I would now like to delete but it is saying it is already open by another program when I try and delete it.
I have checked in disk management and none of the data containers are currently mounted.
How can I close them or stop the usage by "the other program" which I presume is BackupAssist?

thanks,
sygenltd
User

Re: Deleting Data Container

by casey.burns » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Going by the information that's been given, it sounds as if there are major problems with the system mounting and/or dismounting VHD files. BackupAssist does not complete the mounting process, instead using Windows disk management to complete the mounting process. Unfortunately, when there are problems mounting or dismounting the VHD files sometimes the system will keep a hold on the files and the hold cannot be broken unless a system reboot is completed.

Once the hold is broken, you should be able to delete the container as needed. After the container is deleted, you'll need to manually create a container and mount the container to ensure that your system can handle the mount/dismount process that BackupAssist is completing each time the container is used. Instructions for manually creating and mounting the container are below.

Mounting - https://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppo ... container/

Creating - Open Disk Management

- Select Actions at the top of the screen, select Create VHD

- Select the location where it is to be saved (backup destination), choose the size of the container (or size of disk), select dynamically expanding as the VHD type (if using version 8.1.1 and newer).

- Right-click on the disk at the bottom left of the screen and select initialize. Select MBR.

- It should then say Unallocated. Right-click on where it says Unallocated, select new simple volume

- Make sure the volume size is the entire size of the container.

- Assign a drive letter and click next

- Format NTFS and give the volume label data container

- Once you've made the container and gave it a drive letter, right-click on the blue area for that container and select drive letter and paths.

- Remove the drive letter and select OK

- Right-click on the left side and select Detach VHD. Select OK.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Re: Deleting Data Container

by sygenltd » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Server eventually reliquinshed the data container without having to reboot and then successfully completed the backup.
sygenltd
User

Return to Technical Support v8