Set a timeout

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Set a timeout

by RocknRollTim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:57 am

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether it is possible to set a timeout on any backup job in BackupAssist? It's just I can't seem to find an option to do this and I'm having to cancel a backup job in order for other backup jobs to run and to complete before allowing it to continue.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

Re: Set a timeout

by Stuart » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:02 am

Hi RocknRollTim,

It's Stuart here, thanks for posting.

Within version 8 of the software there is no way to create a timeout unless you're running an Rsync backup which you can then add a parameter in to kill the process after a period of time.
If you're wanting to get around this, you could write a script that Windows will run to stop the BAExecutorWinApp.exe process if it's been running for a period of time which will achieve the same thing.

Just out of question, what is the job that you're having to cancel required for?
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by RocknRollTim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for getting back to me with clarifying that version 8 doesn't allow the use of a timeout to be specified in a backup job unless its an Rsync job, we do currently use the SQL and Rsync add-ons for BackupAssist so how can I use BackupAssist more efficiently to achieve the outcome I am trying to achieve? If the use of a script is more effective, would it be possible to help me compose a script to achieve this? With regards to the job I am having to cancel, it is a File Protection job which uses Local Directory i.e. a portable external drive and is performing a mirror backup of network shares which is normally done on a weekly basis but having to run daily in order for it to backup new and amended files and folders and for the backup to complete after making amendments to the backup job last Friday. The only other thing haven't thought of trying as well as scripts is to split the backup job into smaller backup jobs so that the data can be backed up more quickly onto the same drive, would you say this is advisable?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by Stuart » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi again Tim,

How many network shares are you attempting to back up? I ask this as BackupAssist is designed to push data across the network, not pull it from multiple sources for best results.
This would however mean installing BackupAssist on each of these locations, which means licensing them as well but the speeds would be a lot more efficient.

Do you make regular amendments to the backup set, or is this a once off? If it's a once off, I'd just let it run knowing that it's going to take time to complete, then once it's completed the backups will not take as long next time (as long as you have Single Instance Store enabled). Otherwise splitting the job into multiple jobs is more than a viable option.

As for scripting, this isn't something that we provide support for. This is due to the nature of scripts being very environmentally based and vary from machine to machine.
In saying that, there are a number of online resources that could help you with writing a script that Windows scheduled tasks can execute to see if a process is running, then kill/stop it if it's still presently running.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by RocknRollTim » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:20 am

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I'm attempting to backup 16 shares using 4 network and 4 local jobs, I do understand where you are coming from i.e. install BackupAssist on each server where the shares are hosted on and to configure each setup using Rsync but this isn't financially feasible in our case.

I make amendments to the backup sets on an ad-hoc basis and I agree leaving the backup job to complete would be a much better solution than splitting the backup job into further backup jobs in this configuration, the other thing I do additionally to ensure backups like this complete is to temporarily disable other backup jobs that normally run at the weekend (not SQL backup jobs) and to schedule the backup job in to run as early as possible in order for it to complete before the next working week begins.

With regards to scripting, I'll adapt the script commands from the old setup of BackupAssist on the previous server which is no longer used.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

Return to Technical Support v8