Backupassist not starting

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Backupassist not starting

by AmparoIT » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:11 am

Hello to all.

I need some assistance.

Basically, everytime server is rebooted, the BackupAssist software does not start back up automatically. This is a problem within itself.
The secondary problem that derives from this is that when I want to run the software (double clicking the directaccess or whatever), I´m forced to try to do so many times before its stops telling me that the Backupassist service is stopped.

Wish I could provide an image but this forum doesn't appear to allow to me to attach... :(

Attempting a translation of the Backupassist window of error. (mine is installed in spanish)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BackupAssist - Loading

Backupassist service stopped

The Backupassist service is not being executed or is not responding.
If this message appears frequently, please contact support

Click in "start" to start the service.

As soon as I click the start buttong, it throws me another error. after a couple of tries and some minutes pass, it finally lets me... (during all of this, the service in Windows is always up)

Thanks!!
AmparoIT
User

Re: Backupassist not starting

by michael.jones » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:40 am

Hello

This sounds like a likely service failure issue. Service issues can be caused by a few root issues. The first is due to issues with the service itself. Sometimes the service gets corrupted or not installed correctly, and it will cause the service to fail when starting or to stop unexpectedly.

The second cause is a job or other configuration file has been corrupted. If this happens BackupAssist will try to fix the issue but cannot always do so.

The service is connected to these configuration files and if they have issues the service will also have issues.

The last most common issue that affects the BackupAssist service is the .NET if it is not installed or it is unrecognizable then the service will fail to work properly as well.

Resolution:

A reinstallation of the newest version should resolve the issue if it is caused by either the service or configuration issues.

First try un-installing your current version but keep your existing jobs and files. During the uninstall you will see a check box to do this and it should be checked by default. I recommend downloading our no net installer to do the reinstallation.

This will be the same version as you would download from our website; the difference is the way it is installed. Our standard install from the web downloads information for the installation from the Internet.

The no net version is for individuals who do not have the Internet on the backup computer they are installing BackupAssist on, so all the items that would be downloaded during the installation is included in this installer.

I recommend this because in some cases the service issue can be caused by these items not being downloaded or installed correctly.

You can download the no net version here:

http://downloads.backupassist.com/8.4.4 ... _nonet.exe

If you still have issues with the service the cause maybe with your jobs configuration file. You would need to follow the same steps as before, but uncheck the box that saves your current jobs and settings. This will give you a clean slate to do the reinstall on.

If this still does not resolve your issues then it may be a .NET issue a reinstall of .NET Framework would need to be done.

You can download the recommended version of .NET using the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/net/download.aspx

If for some reason you still cannot get the service to work properly you would need to submit a new set of diagnostics so we could investigate your issue further. To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) In BackupAssist versions 5 and 6, go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) > Contact Support or in version 7 and 8, From the options at the top of the screen, Go to Help > Feedback and support > Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is ticked.

3) As an alternative, you can also use our manual upload site which has a limit of 50MB. The URL for this manual submission page is http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8