v8.4.4 stops sending email notifications

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

v8.4.4 stops sending email notifications

by GrisCorp » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 am

I have v8.4.4 installed on two different servers. Backup Assist has decided to stop sending email notifications again from one of the servers despite no changes to the backup job or the email password. I previously had this issue back in 2014 with v7.4.5 and never got a resolution despite sending my logs at least twice as requested (https://www.backupassist.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7556). Now, as then, the only way I am able to get it to resume sending notifications is to clone the backup job and disable the "old" one. The issue seemed to have resolved itself in 2014 after a couple more times of cloning and disabling.

Here are the Events Log entries from last night:
Error ....... 04/20/2016 12:12am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 12:11am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 12:11am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 12:10am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 12:10am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... Unable to load execution summary for key 4.104 ......................................................................................................Settings
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... FetchCurrentJobStatuses() ...............................................................................................................................JobServer Thread
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... FetchCurrentJobStatuses() ...............................................................................................................................JobServer Thread
Info ........ 04/20/2016 12:09am .... Sending report for job 'MAXX-Daily Backup' ............................................................................................................. Job Server
Major ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... The job server has detected that job 'MAXX-Daily Backup' has completed with status 'Completed/Major Warnings' (execution 4.179) ..... Jobs
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... Signal job finalised ........................................................................................................................................ RestoreDependency
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... Signal job finalised at 04/20/2016 12:09:37 AM ...................................................................................................... Overall Dependency
Major ...... 04/20/2016 12:09am .... Executor completed........................................................................................................................................ Jobs

I even try right-clicking the report and selecting 'Resend', but nothing happens. When I check the Events Log again, I see:
Error ....... 04/20/2016 9:40am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 9:39am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 9:39am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 9:38am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Error ....... 04/20/2016 9:38am .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ............................................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 04/20/2016 9:37am .... Sending email 'MAXX-Daily Backup : Major Warnings' to 1 recipients ................................................................................ Notification
Minor ...... 04/20/2016 9:37am .... Sending report for job 'MAXX-Daily Backup' ............................................................................................................. Job Server
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 9:37am .... FewtchJob(4) .............................................................................................................................................. JobServer Thread
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 9:37am .... Unable to load execution summary for key 4.104 ..................................................................................................... Settings
Debug ...... 04/20/2016 9:37am .... List ......................................................................................................................................................... Job Service

When I go to Settings > Email Server Settings and click the 'Test settings and connection type' button, I get:

I have clicked the 'Help' button in BackupAssist and selected 'Contact Support'. I have ticked the box to 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query'. The subject line is the same as this post: "v8.4.4 stops sending email notifications" to make it easy to correlate the two.

(The "Major Warnings" are due to a couple of user's machines having been turned off and thus not found when the backup ran.)

Thank you,
Steven Lain
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Re: v8.4.4 stops sending email notifications

by casey.burns » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

I reviewed your previous case that you opened with us and it looked as if the problem had only occurred once and it seemed as if it would stop occurring without any action taken. Our technician responded with a message letting you know this, and we never received another message letting us know the problem was still occurring. Because of this, the case was closed.

My first recommendation for you is to update to the latest version. For your convenience, I have a download link below.
http://downloads.backupassist.com/8.4.5 ... .4.5r1.exe

Just install over the version you have now. If the problem is still occurring after the update, send us in an updated diagnostic so we can begin looking at the problem in full.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v8