question about restoration of files from backup media

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

question about restoration of files from backup media

by hennessy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:53 am

hi there,

I am new to this forum, so apologies in advance if this question has an obvious answer - I have searched the documentation and the knowledgebase but cannot see the answer to this particular query.

We have a client that is running BA v.8.0.3 on a Server 2012 Essentials machine. System Protection Backups are being done to an internal hard drive and also to removable USB media.

We are looking at some DRP scenarios, and one question that has come up is : in a DRP scenario where the server is unable to be restored to, is it possible to extract/restore individual files from a backup stored on USB media, to a foreign device - say a laptop running windows 7,8, or 10? If so, how would this be done and what would need to be in place beforehand ?

thanks in advance for any guidance.
hennessy
User

Re: question about restoration of files from backup media

by TimN » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

BackupAssist does allow you to restore individual items from a System protection\image backup.

Once you attach the backup media to a different server, you can browse for the backup on the original backup destination.

For more information on System protection backups, please refer to the following user guide:

https://www.backupassist.com/downloads/ ... rguide.pdf

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by hennessy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:22 pm

Tim,

many thanks for the reply.

As i said in the email, the scenario we want to plan for is when there isnt a server to restore to - just, for example, a standalone laptop.
If I understand your reply correctly we would need to have backupAssist installed on this laptop to be able to read and extract files from the backup media - is that correct ?
If thats the case then we should have as part of our pan to have BA installed, or able to be installed, on this laptop we want to use to extract the files - correct?

It might sound obvious but we want to get a very detailed plan in pace for this scenario, and test it...

thanks again for any guidance you can provide.
hennessy
User

by michael.jones » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello,

In the case of an emergency, data from a given backup can be restored by downloading BackupAssist to a new environment, in which case it would be running in a 30 day trial.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by hennessy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:44 am

many thanks for that information and the assistance.
hennessy
User

by hennessy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:19 pm

hi there,

I have installed a 30day trial of v8 on a laptop, started restore, connected backup media, browsed to it and it lists content correctly... but I am unable to restore any files.
The error returned is "Failed to create difference VHD" and has details as listed below.
I have searched the knowledgebase and can only find article 3289 "Cannot create differencing VHD for quick restore" which says to send a diagnostic info pack to support...

Does anyone know of the solution to this issue ?

=============================

Starting Backup location connection
Backup location connection Success
Starting restore
No reboot required
Restore failed with exception:

MountToolLib.InvalidVHDException: Failed to create difference VHD 'C:\Users\hennessy\AppData\Local\Temp\xfh2vm1p.ieb_difference.vhdx'. Error#1 (Error.) ---> MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.VHDMountable.RealSCSIException: Failed to create difference VHD 'C:\Users\hennessy\AppData\Local\Temp\xfh2vm1p.ieb_difference.vhdx'. Error#1 (Error.)
at MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.VHDMountable.RealSCSIWrapper.CreateDifferencing(String child, String parent)
at MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.APIMountable.Mount(Boolean readOnly)
at MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.VHDMountable.CombinedVHDMountable.DoMount(Boolean readOnly)
at MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.VHDMountable.CombinedVHDMountable.RetryAction[T](Action`1 action, T parameter, UInt32 retryAttempts)
at MountToolLib.Services.MountablesService.ExposeMountable(ExposeMountableEventArgs args)
at MountToolLib.Providers.Mountable.ServiceMountableBase.Mount(Boolean readOnly)
at MountToolLib.Mountables.MountableDrive.PerformMount(Boolean readOnly)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at MountToolLib.Mountables.MountableDrive.PerformMount(Boolean readOnly)
at MountToolLib.Mountables.BaseMountableDrive.Mount(Boolean readOnly)
at MountToolLib.Services.MountToolUIServiceUsingSystemBackupInformation.Mount(IMountableDrive driveDetails, Boolean readOnly)
at CortexIT.Restore.WinImageFileRestorer.mountAllVHDs()
at CortexIT.Restore.WinImageFileRestorer.PreRestoreHook()
at CortexIT.Restore.Restorer.Restore()
at CortexIT.BA.Restore.RestoreObjects.RestoreObject.PerformRestore()
hennessy
User

Return to Technical Support v8