Failed jobs stacking up

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Failed jobs stacking up

by JeffreyHunt » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:52 am

Hello, I am running v8.4.5r1 (8.4.5005). Server 2012 r2. Three of my past jobs which have failed are stacked up in my Manage window and will not go away. I believe they may be interfering with my future jobs. The Cancel button is available in the Manage window, however, it does not do anything when clicked. Job 1 shows it has been running for 3 Days, 8 Hours, and 54 Minutes. Job 2 shows it has been running for 1 Day, 9 Hours, 3 Minutes. Job 3 shows 9 Hours, 3 Minutes.

My scheduled start time is 12:45 AM. Here is a error that happened this morning at 12:50 AM.
An UNHANDLED EXCEPTION has occurred in BAExecutorWinApp.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\BAExecutorWinApp.exe)
Details are as follows: System.NullReferenceException:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at CortexIT.Zip.Compressor.ThreadRun()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
JeffreyHunt
User

Re: Failed jobs stacking up

by michael.jones » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:06 am

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support.

Please open the task manager and stop the following process if running: BAExecutorWinApp
Then run the following command to see if an image backup is currently running: WBAdmin get status

If the command above indicates no backups are in progress, then try to run the backups again as the issue most likely is resolved.

If a backup job is running, then run the following command: WBAdmin stop job

This will then stop the current backup process completely and allow you to restart your job without this error occurring again.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by JeffreyHunt » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:03 am

Michael,
BAExecutorWinApp is not running in Task Manager.
WBAdmin get status returns a pop up program:

Local Backup
You can preform a single backup or schedule a regular backup using this application.
Windows Server Backup is not installed on this computer. To install Windows Server Backup, from Server Manager select "Add roles and features" and follow the wizard to select the Windows Server Backup feature.
JeffreyHunt
User

by JeffreyHunt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:12 am

Michael, I tried to insert the images of the log files from my failed backup run but was unsuccessful. I have posted to site myerrorpdfs.yolasite.com. I believe the link below will open the page with my error pictures. There are 13 total log file pictures. The idea was 12:45 AM kick off of the Friday back, so Saturday morning at 12:45 AM it started. There were two log entries at 12:45 am "Deleted old catalogues:" and "ZipEngine: start zipping. Then at 3:51 am there are seven log entries.
1. Signal job finalized at 2/20/2016 3:51:34 AM
2. Signal job finalised
3. Signal job finalised
4. The job server has detected that job 'Full Backup' has completed, with status 'Died' (execution 2.1)
5. newExecution.BackupReport is null. No current report will be sent.
6. Report action is BeginCollatedReport for execution 2.1 run at 2/20/2016 12:45:03 AM
7. FetchCurrentJobStatuses()

Then finally at 11:12 AM
Unable to load execution summary for key 2.1
System.ApplicationException: Could not load summary for execution key 2.1 at CortexIT.BA.BackupJobs.BackupJobExecutionSummary..ctor(String executionKey) at CortexIT.BA.BackupJobs.BackupHistory.FetchExecutionSummary(String executionKey, Boolean addToCacheIfNotFound)

Next log item:
Unexpected exception
EXCEPTION:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CortexIT.BA.BackupJobs.BackupHistory.<>c__DisplayClass4.<GetExecutionsStartedBefore>b__3(ExecutionKey key) at System.Collections.Generic.List'1.FindAll(Predicate'1 match) at CortexIT.BA.BackupJobs.BackupHistory.GetExecutionsStartBefore(DateTime thisTime) at CortexIT.BA.BackupJobs.JobService.CleanupHistoryToArchive()

You can see all of these log entries at the site below.

http://myerrorpdfs.yolasite.com
JeffreyHunt
User

by michael.jones » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:17 am

Hello again,

I'm afraid that I'll require some additional information from you.

Would it be possible for you to send in a set of diagnostic information from BackupAssist? This will give us a lot more information to run on to be able to help resolve this quickly for you.

The steps to submit diagnostics are as follows:
1. Open BackupAssist.
2. Click on the Help menu across the top of the console.
3. Select Feedback and Support... from the drop down menu.
4. Click on Contact Support.
5. Enter the details asked for:

Valid E-mail Address: (so we know where to send our answer to your question).
Subject: Brief overview of your query.
Message: A detailed overview of exactly what your query is about. The more information you give here will make it easier for our support team to assist you.

Make sure the tick box stating 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query' is ticked and this will zip all your BackupAssist settings so that we can review these specifically for your environment.

If you have further issues, please browse to:

32-bit OS: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)
64-bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)
Browse for a file named BackupAssistDiagnostics.zip and send this to us directly.
As an alternative, you can also use our manual upload site which has a limit of 50MB. The URL for this manual submission page is http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by JeffreyHunt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:48 am

I sent in the diagnostic information two days ago. I have not heard back from you, I am just checking to ensure you did receive the information.
Thanks,
Jeffrey.
JeffreyHunt
User

by Stuart » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi Jeffery,

It's Stuart here.

Just confirming that I can see our US support team were in touch with you on 24th February. Can you confirm that you received their response?
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by JeffreyHunt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:27 am

Sorry for the delay, tax season has hit us very hard and we are fighting to get past all of the trouble. I have found that on my server there are application error logs. I am trying to get those onto this forum. My forum trouble is getting pictures onto the forum, as you can see below. My screen shot of the Application log and three of the log entries are not showing up.

Three Application Events from the night of 3/24/2016. My backup jobs have been stopping around 2:30 am each morning. I have listed the details of the three errors shown below.

1. Error 3/24/2016 2:37:41 AM Application Error 1000 (100)
Details/System:

Details/EventData:
BAExecutorWinApp.exe
56285e6f
unknown
c0000005
00007ff9bd187524
01d185889f4abcd4
C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\BAExecutorWinApp.exe
unknown
49c4031f-f193-11e5-81bb-001b7859b6e3

2. Error 3/24/2016 2:37:39 AM BAExecutorWin 0 None
Details/System:

Details/EventData:
An UNHANDLED EXCEPTION has occurred in BAExecutorWinApp.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\BAExecutorWinApp.exe) Details are as follows: System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CortexIT.Zip.Compressor.ThreadRun() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

3. Error 3/24/2016 2:37:39 AM BAExecutorWin 0 None:
Details/System:

Details/EventData:
An UNHANDLED EXCEPTION has occurred in BAExecutorWinApp.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\BAExecutorWinApp.exe) Details are as follows: System.NullReferenceException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CortexIT.Zip.Pipe.DiskPipe.Dispose(Boolean disposing) at CortexIT.Zip.Pipe.DiskPipe.Finalize()
JeffreyHunt
User

by michael.jones » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Hello Jeff,

I got your diagnostics on 3/24 and sent the following response:

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers.

I am sorry that you are having an issue with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

You're getting several errors the key one is the following:

Application: BAExecutorWinApp.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
at CortexIT.Zip.Pipe.DiskPipe.Dispose(Boolean)
at CortexIT.Zip.Pipe.DiskPipe.Finalize()

This sounds like a likely service failure issue. Service issues can be caused by a few root issues. The first is due to issues with the service itself. Sometimes the service gets corrupted or not installed correctly, and it will cause the service to fail when starting or to stop unexpectedly.

The second cause is a job or other configuration file has been corrupted. If this happens BackupAssist will try to fix the issue but cannot always do so.

The service is connected to these configuration files and if they have issues the service will also have issues.

The last most common issue that affects the BackupAssist service is the .NET if it is not installed or it is unrecognizable then the service will fail to work properly as well.

Resolution:

A reinstallation of the newest version should resolve the issue if it is caused by either the service or configuration issues.

First try un-installing your current version but keep your existing jobs and files. During the uninstall you will see a check box to do this and it should be checked by default. I recommend downloading our no net installer to do the reinstallation.

This will be the same version as you would download from our website; the difference is the way it is installed. Our standard install from the web downloads information for the installation from the Internet.

The no net version is for individuals who do not have the Internet on the backup computer they are installing BackupAssist on, so all the items that would be downloaded during the installation is included in this installer.

I recommend this because in some cases the service issue can be caused by these items not being downloaded or installed correctly.

You can download the no net version here:

http://downloads.backupassist.com/8.4.5 ... _nonet.exe

If you still have issues with the service the cause maybe with your jobs configuration file. You would need to follow the same steps as before, but uncheck the box that saves your current jobs and settings. This will give you a clean slate to do the reinstall on.

If this still does not resolve your issues then it may be a .NET issue a reinstall of .NET Framework would need to be done.

You can download the recommended version of .NET using the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/net/download.aspx

If for some reason you still cannot get the service to work properly you would need to submit a new set of diagnostics so we could investigate your issue further. To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) In BackupAssist versions 5 and 6, go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the console) > Contact Support or in version 7 and 8, From the options at the top of the screen, Go to Help > Feedback and support > Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is ticked.

3) As an alternative, you can also use our manual upload site which has a limit of 50MB. The URL for this manual submission page is http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php .

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you further.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8