Hyper-V Non Existant or Old Virtual disk files

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Hyper-V Non Existant or Old Virtual disk files

by Rhys-Gottwald » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I had a problem where two of my guest servers on HV host would only back up offline. Turned out that this was because their HDD's were dynamic.

This weekend I converted their Disks to static, but I still cannot perform an online backup for these guests. The only reason I can see for this is that when I look at the files that BA wants to backup as part of the guest the old, dynamic, HDD is listed as part of the files to backup. I cannot deselect the file as the tick box is grayed out.

How do I remove this disk and the other snapshots from the file selection.

Regards
Rhys-Gottwald
User

Re: Hyper-V Non Existant or Old Virtual disk files

by michael.jones » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 am

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support.

Can you try creating a new job?
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by Rhys-Gottwald » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:07 pm

I managed to get rid of the the files by getting the guest to perform a merge, but my server is still only available for offline backup. The integrated services are are installed, and I have tried a new back up.
Rhys-Gottwald
User

by Stuart » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi Rhys,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team. There are a number of factors as to why a guest machine is backed up offline and typically they're due to the configuration of the guest itself.

We've listed the known configuration points we've come across in the past which help produce an online backup, which you can view at https://www.backupassist.com/education/resources/online-guest-backups.html.

Hope this information helps.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8