Rsync backups keep failing

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Rsync backups keep failing

by bwalker1972 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 pm

I have 2 backup jobs that keep failing. I've verified that I'm able to putty to the destination.

This is the last few lines in the job logs:
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4092 bytes to socket [sender]: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync: change_dir#4 "/data2/home/1710/3/C" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(877) [receiver=3.0.3]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

I also see this "C:\Could not create directory '\home\SYSTEM\.ssh'.
bwalker1972
User

Re: Rsync backups keep failing

by TimN » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Rsync backup.

The 'Connection reset by peer (104)' error usually indicates that the Rsync connection is being terminated from the destination side of the backup.

The 'No such file or directory (2)' error can be caused if the destination directory is not specified correctly.

When setting up the path on server in the destination job setting, the path must have the name of the network share in front of the folder name.

The folder name is case sensitive and must be entered exactly as defined on your Rsync server. Please take a look at the example below:

rsync: change_dir#3 "/Share/BackupAssist" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(812)

The issue with this example was the destination setup was entered '/Share/', however the share on the Rsync server was called '/share/' (case sensitive).

Once this was changed, the backup then worked without fail.

I also suggest creating a dedicated Backup User Identity (BUI) with full permissions to the backup data if you are currently using the local 'System' user.

If the backup still fails after reviewing the above, send in system diagnostics for us to review.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v8\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is up to 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v8