RESOLVED - BMR to a virtual server?

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

RESOLVED - BMR to a virtual server?

by bwalker1972 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 am

I'm testing BMR to a Hyper-V virtual server. The physical server has a 50GB disk, single partition. After I boot the new Hyper-V virtual server with the Recovery Assist media, I receive an error message about the size of the disk. "The disk that is set to active in BIOS is too small to recover the original system disk. Replace the disk with a larger one and retry the restore operation. (0x80042407)". The virtual server has a 60GB disk.
bwalker1972
User

Re: BMR to a virtual server?

by gvandehy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:17 am

This reply isn't specific to BackupAssist, but in general it could be related to your boot selection.

If your BIOS is UEFI capable, and your disks are configured UEFI, you may have two options in your boot menu for your DVD. One being your basic DVD drive, and another preceded by [UEFI] DVD-name.

If your BIOS supports both, you must select the proper option in order for the disks to be readable when booting to DVD.

Hope this helps,
gvandehy
User

by Stuart » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:43 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

The error that you're receiving is actually coming from the Windows Recovery Environment (which RecoverAssist uses to recover the image).

This error will be generated due to the vhd being smaller than what's required. The physical size of the disks is what is used to calculate this - not the size of the partitions created.
So the question is what size is the actual physical disk in the physical machine? Is it only 50GB, or is it larger than that and it's partitioned off into 50GB?

If the physical size is larger than that, try creating a vhd file around 5GB larger than the physical disk and try the recovery process again.
Once you've done this, you can then shrink the vhd back if you're wanting to save space.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by bwalker1972 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:04 am

I was able to restore to Hyper-V after I gave the vm a disk the size of the actual physical host (250GB). I thought that I could restore to a vm with 50-60GB drive, since the host only has a 50GB partition, with the additional 200GB unallocated.
bwalker1972
User

by Stuart » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:27 am

Great to hear that you got this working!
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8