Hyper-V Granular Backups and Restores

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Hyper-V Granular Backups and Restores

by motc777 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:39 am

I have been using Backup Assist for a short time. I have many VM's that need to be backed up and want the ability for granular restore. However, I am noticing that when I am setting up a backup job for Hyper-V, it's automatically checking the box for the C drive on the host. So if I have several backup jobs, I'm basically copying the same data over and over again.

Is the C: drive on the host necessary to be backed up under each backup job I do if I am wanting to do HyperV granular restores in the future?
motc777
User

Re: Hyper-V Granular Backups and Restores

by Stuart » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:29 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

When selecting the Microsoft Hyper-V VSS option, this automatically selects the the volumes/files which the Hyper-V VSS writer requires to perform a consistent backup of the guest machines.

If it's showing there are files required on the C: drive, then these were probably configured at the time the guest was created (I believe by default files are placed on the C: drive during the VM creation process).

The following guide may help as it outlines best practice for configuring guests to avoid such situations:
https://www.backupassist.com/education/resources/hyperv_implementation_guide.html.

Hope this information helps.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8