RESOLVED having trouble backing up a workstation

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

RESOLVED having trouble backing up a workstation

by D-K-S » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:49 am

Hi Intrepid Team of People Smarter than ME -
I'm a new subscriber running 8.4.4 - MS Server 2008 R2 32gb / 4TB storage - Raid 5.

Backing up the server to a NAS is working well and now I'd like to backup files off a few of my critical workstations (Win7 - SP1).

The backup runs but completes in just a few seconds with nothing recorded - I mapped the drive and it finds folders but doesn't copy anything. It may be a permissions issue so I reset <Remote Machine> \\C:\ Share function to ALLOW - FULL CONTROL - Still no luck.

There is no login required to access the <Remote Machine> drive so I'm wondering: what could be the issue??-

Any thoughts -
D-K-S
User

Re: having trouble backing up a workstation

by Stuart » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:25 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here, thanks for posting on the forum.

Are there any errors that are on the backup report?
If it's a remote location you're attempting to back up, then the Backup User Identity needs to have full read/write permissions which is the most common cause of such issues you're facing. The following KB article may help with suggestions on resolving the issue: http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=2725.

If you still are unable to get this going, please feel free to submit a ticket with our support team by following the steps below:
1. Open BackupAssist.
2. Click on the Help menu across the top of the console.
3. Select Feedback and Support... from the drop down menu.
4. Click on Contact Support.

5. Enter the details asked for:

Valid E-mail Address: (so we know where to send our answer to your question).
Subject: Brief overview of your query.

Message: A detailed overview of exactly what your query is about. The more information you give here will make it easier for our support team to assist you.

Make sure the tick box stating 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query' is ticked and this will zip all your BackupAssist settings so that we can review these specifically for your environment.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

Browse to the following folder on the applicable path to your system:

32-bit OS: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)
64-bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)

Look for a file named BackupAssistDiagnostics.zip and send this to us directly.

If you find that this file is too large to email directly; please upload directly to our support team via http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssist/diags/submit.php.
Please note that there is a 50MB file size limit. If it's larger then please let us know.

Alternatively you can also contact any of our offices - details are found at http://www.backupassist.com/support/support-ep.html.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Re: having trouble backing up a workstation

by D-K-S » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the help and quick turnaround.

Tim N - from backupassist.com sent me the answer:

To address this, I suggest that you create a Backup User Identity (BUI) that has full permissions to the selected backup files instead of using the local 'System' user.

I suggest that you create a new user that has full permissions to the selected backup files and use this new user as the BUI.

Also select the option below to not backup NTFS attributes:

and it worked.

Please consider this solved!
D-K-S
User

Return to Technical Support v8