Ver 8.4.3 Server2012R2 Recover issue

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Ver 8.4.3 Server2012R2 Recover issue

by ChrisKittell » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:42 am

Evaluating this version. I have created recover media using DVD and USB flash. Both give me a "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" when launching the recovery program. The restart message is brief and I am unable to stop the reboot process. Using SuperMicro X10SLM-F mainboard, RAID 1 using UEFI.
ChrisKittell
User

Re: Ver 8.4.3 Server2012R2 Recover issue

by gsohal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:39 am

Hi Chris,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for contacting us in regards to BackupAssist.

Sorry to hear that you are facing issues with the Recovery environment.
Could you confirm how the RecoverAssist disk was created?
Was it created from installed version of Windows or from Windows installation media?

The reason I ask is because there is a known bug for disks created from installed version of Windows.
It happens due to a Windows update installed in the system; you may refer to the following blog: http://www.infoworld.com/article/289366 ... again.html

As a workaround, you can create RecoverAssist disk using Windows OS disk and restore data.

I hope it helps, Chris.

Regards,
Gagan
gsohal
User

by ChrisKittell » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:08 am

Ok, I did the work around and created the media using my Windows cd. It booted successfully two out of three times :( I want to recover from a backup that was created on 7-31-2015 but I can only see last nights backup. Am I correct in assuming that I will be limited to restoring from the latest backup and not from a backup three nights ago? If this is the case, I do not see any value in your product since wbadmin will do the same thing but for free.
ChrisKittell
User

by Stuart » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:16 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

You should be able to retain backup history, so it could be something with the configuration of your backup job.
We'd need to look into this further to give you the best possible answer, so I'd also recommend submitting some diagnostics so that our team has a chance to go over the your configuration. To send us diagnostic information, please follow these steps:

1. Open BackupAssist.
2. Click on the Help menu across the top of the console.
3. Select Feedback and Support... from the drop down menu.
4. Click on Contact Support.

5. Enter the details asked for:

Valid E-mail Address: (so we know where to send our answer to your question).
Subject: Brief overview of your query.

Message: A detailed overview of exactly what your query is about. The more information you give here will make it easier for our support team to assist you.

Make sure the tick box stating 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query' is ticked and this will zip all your BackupAssist settings so that we can review these specifically for your environment.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

Browse to the following folder on the applicable path to your system:

32-bit OS: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)
64-bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)

Look for a file named BackupAssistDiagnostics.zip and send this to us directly.

If you find that this file is too large to email directly; please upload directly to our support team via http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.
Please note that there is a 50MB file size limit. If it's larger then please let us know.

You're also free to contact either of our support offices, contact details are outlined at http://www.backupassist.com/support/support-ep.html.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8