Most Recent Full Question

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Most Recent Full Question

by Drhoges » Fri May 15, 2015 2:09 am

Hello,

I just started using BackupAssist for file replication and it seems the best option for me is the most recent full as I want to be able to restore to specific days in the week but there's too much data to do a 1:1 copy every night. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how single instance storage works but I am concerned that when the disk is full and BackupAssist automatically deletes the oldest backup, will it remove the initial (full) backup? If so how does a restore work if for example, a file was lost but not changed since the time of the first backup? Does it essentially remove the old instances of the files that have been changed since they are stored in newer backups?

Thanks.
Drhoges
User

Re: Most Recent Full Question

by Drhoges » Fri May 15, 2015 2:16 am

Apologies, required info:

BackupAssist Version 8.1.1014
Type of Backup: Most Recent Full File Protection
Operating system: Server 2008 R2
Hardware being used as your backup destination: NAS
Drhoges
User

by scottmckinnie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 pm

My apologies for bumping another user's post, but I'd be quite interested in the answer to this also.

Version: 8.4.2r1
Type: Most Recent Full.
Destination: NAS (iSCSI Target)

Thanks,

Scott.
scottmckinnie
User

by Mike D » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:57 am

When the backups need to be deleted the oldest backup is deleted, however if there are any files that are linked to other folders those blocks are not deleted only the files that are no longer linked. If you have not done so look at the following article it explains how the backups are stored and how the deletion works.

http://www.backupassist.com/blog/support/single-instance-store-a-guide-to-hard-links/
Thank You,
Mike Deaton
BackupAssist U.S. Help Desk Team Leader
US Support Office: Louisville, KY
+812-206-4265
helpdesk@backupassist.com
www.backupassist.com
Mike D
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8