Exchange backup failing Uable to create VSS snapshot

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Exchange backup failing Uable to create VSS snapshot

by stwinn » Fri May 08, 2015 9:40 pm

HI,

I just installed BAckupAssist V8.4.1 on my Exchange server. I am running a "System protection" backup of the Exchange mailbox Db only. The first full backup ran, the second backup ran, the third failed with a vss error, I rebooted the server, the fourth backup ran, the fifth backup failed with same vss error.

Details:
Enviroment
vCloud (vmware)
Windows 2008 R2 server Ent. 64bit
Exchange 2010
Backup to : iSCSI target - QNAP TS-EC880U

First and second backup run fine

Third backup fails: BA2512 Unable to create VSS snapshot

The backup operation stopped before completion
Detailed error: ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x800423f3)
The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error may not reoccur.

A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.
Detailed error: ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x800423f3)
The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error may not reoccur.

Event log
Source: VSS
Event ID: 8193

I reboot the server (as per instructions found on search of this issue)

Forth backup runs fine

Fifth backup Fails with same error

The backup operation stopped before completion

A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.

Can anyone help with this issue? I really need to get these mailbox backups working consistantly.

Thanks in advance.

Todd
stwinn
User

Re: Exchange backup failing Uable to create VSS snapshot

by casey.burns » Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

I would first try to find a resolution for the (0x800423f3) error code that Windows has shown you. There are actually different possible error messages with the same code. You can start your search here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 240db5250c

If the thread above doesn't help you any, we will need a diagnostic report from you in order to help you further. To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Help (from the top-right corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Find the BackupAssist folder, zip up the version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)
3. Once you've zipped up all the folders needed please go to our manual submission website that will collect the data and send to us: http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.

If you find this file is too large to e-mail send us, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.

Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v8