Need guidance on Exchange Backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Need guidance on Exchange Backup

by stwinn » Tue May 05, 2015 6:14 am

Setup:
Windows Server 2008R2
Exchange 2010
BAckupAssist V8
BAckup storage: QNAP TS-EC880U NAS (setup as iSCSI target)
Exchange Granular restore

Requirement: Provide 90 day backup of Exchange mailboxes. Be able to restore full mailboxes as well as individual emails.

Can someone give me some advice on the best way to go about this?
Which backup should I choose? System protection, File Protection or File Archiving? I'm not sure which is best for my needs.
What schedule do I pick so I can restore from specific dates from the past 90 days?
Will I need to do incremental or full backups to achieve this?
Is there any sort of compression on the backups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd
stwinn
User

Re: Need guidance on Exchange Backup

by TimN » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Todd,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

From the information that you have provided, we suggest running a System protection backup of the server.

As you are backing up to iSCSI, the first backup will be full followed by incremental backups.

System protection backups will backup to the destination until it runs out of space.

When the destination runs out of space the older backup(s) will be removed to create space for the latest backup.

As this uses Windows backup, there are no options to specify the number of backups to keep.

You can then use EGR to restore individual mailboxes or mail items from the Exchange database file.

For more information on EGR, please refer to the following user guide: http://www.backupassist.com/downloads/v ... rguide.pdf

System protection backups will not be compressed so you will need to ensure that you have sufficient space on the backup destination.

For more information on System protection backups, please refer to the following user guide: http://www.backupassist.com/downloads/v ... rguide.pdf

I hope this helps, Todd.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v8