Bare Metal Recovery - SBS2011

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Bare Metal Recovery - SBS2011

by paul7274uk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 am

Hi,

We've got an HP ProLiant ML110 G6 Server running SBS 2011 which to cut a long story short is now requiring us to perform a Bare Metal Recovery to new 1Tb hard drives. The orginal HDD's were also 1Tb.

We've got external backups and what we thought was a RecoverAssist bootable USB stick.

In a nutshell the USB stick won't boot and tells us to insert the Windows Install disk. I've tried re-creating the ASR using both 'bootable media based on the installed version of windows' and 'bootable media based on a windows installation disk' with the same results.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong.
paul7274uk
User

Re: Bare Metal Recovery - SBS2011

by paul7274uk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 am

A little update in that the Recovery Media has now been created which can see the backup images however upon recovery the message 'The System Restore Operation Failed' followed by 'Error details: The Device Is Not Connected. (0x8007048F).

Any help is appreciated.
paul7274uk
User

Re: Bare Metal Recovery - SBS2011

by mscott9494 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:26 am

Hi Paul -

Not sure I understand what your update means, but I am wondering: Can it be that your server cannot boot from a USB stick? The reason I ask this is that I just installed a brand new, latest generation Dell server that has UEFI, was attempting to install the OS from a USB stick and it wouldn't fly. I called tech support, he spent some time fiddling around thinking it should work. He did some digging and come to find out, the servers cannot boot from a USB stick, only a USB external drive...! I was surprised, but there it was.

I realize you have an HP, but just a thought.
mscott9494
User

Return to Technical Support v8