Few questions regarding Recover Assist

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Few questions regarding Recover Assist

by tacticalwinston » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 am

Hi guys

I have BA 8.3 running on Server 2012 Standard, on a Proliant ML350p Gen8, 32GB RAM, 8x 450GB SAS Drives. The server has suffered a series of failed HDD's in the past week and we lost a logical drive (thanks, Raid5). HP are advising a full rebuild of the array to avoid further issues. I am fine with this as it gives me an opportunity to move to R6 or R10 (not decided which yet).

I intend to use RecoverAssist to create bootable media and a baremetal backup to restore the server. I am looking through the documentation for RA at the moment, and I see a step in the creation of the boot media that allows you to add drivers to the image. My question is, will the BMR backup catch the installed drivers? Or is this the step where the server drivers need to be added?

Also, could someone who has attempted to do what I am doing chime in with their experience? Did you have any issues with intelligent provisioning?

Thanks
Dan
tacticalwinston
User

Re: Few questions regarding Recover Assist

by casey.burns » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

When it comes to bare metal restores, there are a few pre-requisites that need to be met in order for the recovery to go smoothly. The drivers should not be a problem - the section where you can add your own drivers is for added assurance in the outside chance that there are issues with a particular driver. The few times I've seen these kinds of problems occur, it's related to specific connection types such as network interface card or USB controllers.

Here is our documentation on bare metal restores that will give you more information on the pre-requisites that I was referring to earlier:

http://www.backupassist.com/downloads/v ... erence.pdf

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v8