Unable to compile media usage report

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Unable to compile media usage report

by Bureaux » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:23 am

Hi SupportTeam

The version used on this backup is BA v 8.3.0 ( migration from 7.x to 8.0.2 to 8.3.0 )
We try to backup files with "file replication" on a Synology 214se ( but we tried before on a Qnap NAS ).
The task is unable to compile the media usage report if we select a whole disk.
When we try several sub-backups, each one backuping up some sub-folders ( the total being the whole disk ), the tasks complete successfully.
This is the first time we encounter this problem, many other backups with synology working well.
We weren't able to found out with the really problem of Backupassist. The rest of the backup is all green, "compiling media usage report" greyed
The problem occurs with 2 different disks, D and E on a windows 2008R2 server.
Backup schemes :
D:\*
D:\A\*
D:\Z\* -> error compiling media usage report

D:\A\*
D:\B\*
D:\C\* -> Backup ok

D:\E\*
D:\F\*
D:\G\* -> Backup ok

D:\X\*
D:\Y\*
D:\Z\* -> Backup ok

We tried looking in log files but without succès finding the problem
Our ProgramData folders is about 1.2Gb so sending it trough support isn't an option without purging it.

Does anyone has any idea on whats going on here ? Any suggestion can be helpfull

Sincerely
Sté Bureaux
Bureaux
User

Re: Unable to compile media usage report

by gsohal » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:15 am

Hi Sté

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you've issues with the backup software.
The reason for this warning is that, when the usage report is being generated it usually has cached files for previous backups. However, if these are not found for some reason, BackupAssist will go back through all the previous backups to generate these files again so that the reporting can be accurate. The default timeout period is 30 minutes.

You can refer to the following KB article: http://kb.backupassist.com/articles.php?aid=3192

In case issue persists, I would recommend you submit the diagnostic report for analysis.
To submit the diagnostic report you will need to log in BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support
Note: Please ensure the check box is ticked at the bottom
We will review the diagnostic report and revert.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

by Bureaux » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I read the thread you mentioned before posting, but i can't understand if it goes through all the previous backups
of the running task or all the previous backups ever done with backupassist, wathever task it was.
The second thing is that I already tried to send the diagnostic to support but its to big and refused by your mail server, thats why I wrote :
"Our ProgramData folders is about 1.2Gb so sending it trough support isn't an option without purging it".
Is there another way to send you the logs you need ?
A backup of a whole disk is like 380k and 750k files with a size of 188Gb and 350Gb.
I have bigger backups and some with more files so i can't imaging it being the number of files nor the size, but why does the
separate sub-folders backups works with a media usage report compilation being done in no time ( less than 30s ).
I didn't mention it but i already tried increasing report delay to 60min without more succes

Best regards
Sté Bureaux
Bureaux
User

by Bureaux » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi, Me again :)

After several tries, changing the files being backuped, I came to this conclusion :
For all the tasks the delay before aborting media usage report is 300 minutes !!!
Folder of 80Gb, 206598 files in 1h40 -> unable to compile media usage report
This folder contains 10 subfolders

Backup same folder with only 5 first subfolders selected, 74.98Gb, 193986 files in 0h18 -> Backup ok
Backup same folder with only 5 last subfolders selected, 5.61Gb, 12546 files in 0h37 -> Backup ok
Backup again whole folder in 2h07 -> unable to compile media usage report

This is definetly a Backupassist problem when generating the media usage report.
I gonna try with SIS disabled, could maybe be an indirect consequence.

A little detail that could be interesting to add to the wishlist : dissociate the actual copying time ( on disks ex: D: E:) from the report compiling time.
It could give some interesting indications for problem resolution

Best regards
Sté Bureaux
Bureaux
User

by Bureaux » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi...
I don't really feel like this thread is taken seriously, even if I am intensively trying to find the bug since more than a week.

What I tried yesterday is deactivating SIS, wich seems to make it working, but ins't really a solution because my NAS will be full in no time.
I did 2 backup jobs on 2 different dates, the of them are ok. I now run the same again with reactivating SIS.
Who knows...

Regards
Sté Bureaux
Bureaux
User

by casey.burns » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Would it be possible for you to send in a set of diagnostic information from BackupAssist? We'll need this information to properly troubleshoot your issue.
To send us diagnostic information please follow these steps:

1) Go to Help (from the top-right corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Find the BackupAssist folder, zip up the version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)
3. Once you've zipped up all the folders needed please go to our manual submission website that will collect the data and send to us: http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.

If you find this file is too large to e-mail send us, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

by Bureaux » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi,
I tried to send you the log by backupassist button, message refused due to Dkim error
I tried the second option by url, zip file refused because size exceeds 50Mb, Normal because my file after remove the older logs
is still 185Mb large.
I could clean up more but I don't know if the remaining files would be of any use.
In fact every .bac file is up to 25Mb large !
As I tried to explain in the support query, my last backup tries seems to indicate that the SIS could be somewhere the problem.
If I do the full backup without SIS, all is working well, if I use the SIS, the full backup can't compile the media usage report.
But, the same backup task, done in 2 times, each tasks selecting half of the files/folders, everything is ok.

Regards
Sté Bureaux
Bureaux
User

Return to Technical Support v8