Can't create a simple rotating weekly schedule

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Can't create a simple rotating weekly schedule

by Statick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:19 am

We are backing up to tape. We have 3 tapes we wish to rotate on a weekly basis (swapping tapes on mondays) so that even on rotation days there is always one tape kept off-site.

We wish the first backup of the week to be a full backup, with incremental backups being appended to the tape for the remaining days of the week, in order to not overwrite the entire tape with a full backup every night (which will also mean we can keep daily snapshots)

This seems impossible to create? If I select a rotating weekly backup schedule, for one it only allows us to select two tapes, but even then it insists on running a full backup every day (we have approx 700gb of data to backup and a 1.5TB LTO5 tape, so this won't work). If I customise the schedule, even though I've selected every day of the week for the weekly backup, the schedule only comes up with one option for "week 1" and one option for "week 2" etc. There doesn't seem to be a way to say "select the first backup of the week to be a full backup, and subsequent backups to be incremental". As a result, our backup to tape is running a full backup every single night, taking 7 hours each execution, which is eating up tape drive hours and causing us to overwrite the tape every time.

If I try to create a custom schedule, it treats daily and weekly backups as entirely separate things and wants to rotate media in ways I cannot fathom, and still does not allow this very simple concept of a weekly backup with a full backup on the first day and incrementals on subsequent days.

It's a really simple schedule. It's one we used to run at a site I was sysadmin at over a decade ago, they were running EMC retrospect there. A decade ago. Why, on v8 of BA, is this apparently not a possibility? We just dropped over £500 on this software and I am enormously disappointed that we cannot even closely achieve the level of backup protection that we want (i.e. daily incremental snapshots going to tape with a weekly rotation and full backup taking place on Mondays).
Statick
User

Re: Can't create a simple rotating weekly schedule

by michael.jones » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:17 am

Hello,

This is Michael from support.

I think we can likely help get what you want here, but it is a conversation better suited to a phone call.

Give me a call during US suporrt hours 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM US EDT, or similar hours in AU EDT, and we'll see if we can get you sorted.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8