Insufficient space

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Insufficient space

by RocknRollTim » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 am

Hi there,

We've reformatted our Offsite backup as it kept generating problems when mounting it in TrueCrypt 7.1a i.e. saying that it wasn't dismounted properly and kept saying to run a check disk even though we dismounted it properly after every weekly backup, however there have been occasions where the backup hasn't be able to disconnect properly using Safely Remove Hardware after successfully dismounting the drive in TrueCrypt and ensuring that no system resources are accessing it as well as IT personnel accessing it, sometimes logging out and logging back in using the Windows profile configured to run BackupAssist allows us to disconnect the drive but sometimes doesn't and sometimes leaves us with no choice but to forcely disconnect the drive. We use Remote Desktop to access the latest server as they are wrack servers and are not like the old tower servers plus it makes life easier without having to find a spare, mouse and keyboard as well as spare USB ports on each server especially the wrack servers where there are only 4 on each. Also problems kept occurring in BackupAssist after each job had completely successfully and kept mostly causing some systems regardless of whether it's Windows XP or Windows 7 to hang or to slow down as well as certain network resources to hang or to slow down such as programs hosted on other internal servers as well as file shares especially when it got to the phase compiling usage report as well as the phase either before or after this phase, this isn't the only time when I've seen this problem occur and can sometimes happen with the other backup jobs on the server hosting a fully license version BackupAssist as well as TrueCrypt 7.1a which is currently on a few of our IT systems. This problem has also been present on our old backup server but never got round to sorting it out on this server too along with other problems on this server. Sometimes there have been occasions where all systems have hung for more than 20 minutes which is usually the norm for when this happens and has left us with no choice but to get everyone out of all network resources including programs on other internal servers as well as the main server and to either reboot just the main server or to reboot the entire lot in order for the network to stabilise, however there have also been occasions where a misconfigured AirPort as well as a switch being overwhelmed by network traffic connected to the main server (Windows SBS 2011) to cause havoc on the network and again has left us no choice but to reboot the servers ((2x Windows Server 2003 (one standard and one web), 2x Windows Server 2003 R2 and 3x Windows Server 2012) as well as the switches and routers, we're also still in the process of fixing the Distributed DCOM errors present in the Event Viewer of the main server where the fully licensed version of BackupAssist is present. As well as the Offsite backup being connected to this server once a week, we have a Terastation which isn't connected to the server and runs every Saturday early in the morning when no backups are running and is currently disabled where it's supposed to do a complete yearly backup but have to keep cancelling just in case it conflicts with other backup jobs in BackupAssist with either at the same or different file locations and to prevent the network from hanging or slowing down. We also have another 2 externals connected to the server as well as the Offsite backup which is taken off offsite every week and is currently connected to our host virtual server with a trial version of BackupAssist as we're having migration issues with transferring the license from the main server to this server plus this server doesn't currently have many backup jobs set as well as us testing nor does this server host many network resources unlike some of the other, one backs up all our scanned documents whereas the other backs up all file share data. There is also another backup job set up on this server using BackupAssist and in effect does the same what the Offsite backup does except it backs up on the server instead using the D partition and pulls data from both the externals off the main server using drive shares, this is for when the Offsite backup fails whatever reason but would prefer it to be an Offsite backup though. All backup jobs on both servers apart from 5 SQL jobs on the main server use file jobs which mirror selected data specified in the backup jobs and run concurrently everyday after the first backup job is started off by a schedule and completed i.e. when the first one finishes the next one runs etc using scripts within BackupAssist, the only difference is that backup jobs for the 2 externals don't run on a Sunday and run from Monday to Saturday instead. Backup jobs on host virtual server again use file jobs that mirror data except they use schedules and pull data from both externals off the main server, again both use different schedules, one schedules prior to the Terastation backup job on Saturday and the other we wanted to run early in the morning on Friday but scheduled early in the morning of Saturday instead and either once it has successfully completed to put it back to another day during the week i.e. Monday, Tuesday or possibly any of the week days, I conclude this is an obvious bug and has been happening with earlier versions of BackupAssist since we invested many years ago and has happened on whatever server we have installed BackupAssist on using scheduled backup jobs, can this problem be forwarded onto the moderators so it can be forwarded onto the developer team to be fixed? With regards to the problem mentioned in the subject, we used the following link http://www.howtogeek.com/193013/how-to-create-an-encrypted-container-file-with-bitlocker-on-windows/ to configure the Offsite backup as if it were using a TrueCrypt like container except using BitLocker, however when it ran this morning we got an email report later this morning saying that the backup had errored due to insufficient space, I know this previously didn't used to be issue with the Offsite backup when we were using TrueCrypt, only when we kept getting email reports saying that it was full and used to use batch files to clear down old data on each backup reporting the problem before discovering that BackupAssist could do this for us but this is currently blank external with 2GB assigned to the 931GB external using VHD in Disk Management as well as BitLocker and can only assign up to 2GB of virtual memory allocation using VHD, am I best using VHDX as opposed to VHD and would it solve the insufficient space issue? I read that VHDX can handle more than 2GB of virtual memory allocation. Your help would much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

P.S. I forgot to mention that all backup jobs on both servers have email notifications are sent to IT shared email in Exchange. I also forgot to mention that the main server has a history of problems ranging up to a year ago, more information of this can be found in the following links https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user/threads?user=RocknRollTim and http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/8f0a35ad-fe24-4e4d-832e-2744be5f6825?lc=2057&auth=1 which point to my profile forum pages. I also forgot to mention that were currently running BackupAssist 8.2.1 on both servers.
RocknRollTim
User

Re: Insufficient space

by TimN » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:01 am

Hi RocknRollTim,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

Sorry to hear that you have had multiple issues with your BackupAssist backups.

Please send in system diagnostics for us to review so that we can see at what point the backup problems occur with regards to encryption, the network issues and licencing.

As you have reported many different issues, state the name of the backup job that is experiencing each problem when you send in the diagnostic logs so that we can address the issues for the correct backup jobs.

With regards to BitLocker, please note that you can now configure Bitlocker encrypted backups in BackupAssist version 8.3.0:

8.3.0: http://downloads.backupassist.com/8.3.0 ... _8.3.0.exe

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v8\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is still too large, upload it to http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php

If the file is over 50MB and upto 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by RocknRollTim » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:46 am

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you and thank you for responding to my thread on 10th.

We have corrected the issue with the Offsite backup using the following link http://www.howtogeek.com/192894/how-to-set-up-bitlocker-encryption-on-windows/ and have updated to the latest version of BackupAssist on both servers.

However all other problems still exist on the main server causing them to sometimes crash the server as well as the switch attached to this server as well as the router attached to another switch which can sometimes drop and lose connection and then requires a reboot onsite to restore our internet connection as well as network connection.

We're still in the process of sorting out the BackupAssist issues with Zen who are a software provider for many of our software packages as well as our ISP provider, I only posted the issues mentioned in my previous post on this forum to see whether anybody else has had these issues and whether they knew of any solutions in order to fix the BackupAssist problems mentioned in my previous post.

As our software provider is Zen I won't be able to submit the diagnostics to you as the contact support options are linked to Zen and not BackupAssist, we can use instructions from under step 3 but not sure whether we would be supported by Zen if we performed these instructions, we're currently on the free support which only allows to set up BackupAssist on new machine but this will be rectified soon in order to receive continual support as well as updates.

Please advise what to do in this context.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

by TimN » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 am

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

In such cases, I believe the backup and server logs would offer helpful information on what is causing the problems.

I suggest continuing with Zen with regards to support as they are an exclusive distributor for BackupAssist.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by RocknRollTim » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:20 am

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the really long delay in getting back to you, I have been really busy with quite a number of projects recently including this one in which Zen and us managed to resolve the issues mentioned in this thread. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
RocknRollTim
User

Return to Technical Support v8