Recovery

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Recovery

by BangkokBob » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi. We have started using BackupAssist V8.2.1 on a virtualised W2k12 Standard server. Everything is fine. We are using Rysnc to encrypt the data from the server to NAS drives and that is working as planned.

In our remote office security is supreme. The W2K12 server is a file server is also a DC (HyperV guest).

Being remote, we believe we are probably better off creating a new DC were we to have catastrophic failure of the hardware. Also, whilst we appreciate we can use BitLocker to encrypt the guest, we also are comfortable in only backing up the data.

Were we to have to recover the data from a failed server, we presume the data in c:\program files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\ and C:\ProgramData\BackupAssist v8\ would be useful and so we have this backed up via BackupAssist File Archiving with a password 3 copies then overwrite.

Is there any other data (or should we bother with these two directories?) that we should be taking into account for a successful restore and is there a document that provides guidance for such a restore?

Many thanks
BangkokBob
User

Re: Recovery

by michael.jones » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support. The data in the c:\program files (x86)\BackupAssist v8\ is just the installation directory, where as the Program Data location is all the reports and configuration information.

Please take a look at the following documentation regarding recovery:

http://www.backupassist.com/education/v ... paper.html
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Re: Recovery

by BangkokBob » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Michael. That covers my question.
BangkokBob
User

Return to Technical Support v8