BA 8.2 Backup random failure (VSS)

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

BA 8.2 Backup random failure (VSS)

by jUMPOFF » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:00 pm

First of all, sorry for my bad English.

I've a problem with a Backup. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I've about 880GB of data to backup, and sometimes the backup stop at 175GB, sometimes 500, sometimes 400 .. its totaly random. And sometimes its a full succes.

The BackupAssist log told us that somes files were not found, but they're there!

In the Windows System Log when can see, always 1 min before the failure, this error :

Log Name :System
Source : volsnap
Date : 09/12/2014 10:48:44
Event ID: 25
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SRV-DATA03.gmb.fr
Description :
The shadow copies of volume D: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

I've tried to upgrade my VSS max size with the command "vssadmin resize /for=C: /on=C: 60GB" in the command prompt. I'll see what happen. But it's like you, sometimes the backup succès, and sometimes not ... But maybe i need to do it in "/for=D: /on=D:" i don't know...

I need help. Thanks.
jUMPOFF
User

Re: BA 8.2 Backup random failure (VSS)

by jUMPOFF » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:06 pm

Sorry i've made a bad copy/past of this sentence

I've tried to upgrade my VSS max size with the command "vssadmin resize /for=C: /on=C: 60GB" in the command prompt. I'll see what happen. But it's like you, sometimes the backup succès, and sometimes not ... But maybe i need to do it in "/for=D: /on=D:" i don't know...

I mean

I've tried to upgrade my VSS max size with the command "vssadmin resize /for=C: /on=C: 60GB" in the command prompt. It still doesn't work ... But maybe i need to do it in "/for=D: /on=D:" i don't know...
jUMPOFF
User

by Stuart » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:38 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

Based on the information you've provided, it does appear that the issue is due to the D: drive and not the C: drive.

As you've mentioned, you'll need to alter the shadowstorage of the D: drive specifically to be able to remove the event which you've provided.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

by jUMPOFF » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 am

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your answer.

When i try to alter the shadowstoage of the D: drive this error appears :"Error: The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found."

i tried this two command :

"vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=D: /maxsize=60GB"

and

"vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxisize=60GB"

Both return the same error.

The data that i have to save are on the D drive.
jUMPOFF
User

by Stuart » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:50 am

Hi again,

Do you have VSS service running on the system at all now? Looking at the error it seems to be that shadow copies aren't working correctly within the environment.

I'd make sure that you have the Volume Shadow Copy Service running under Administrative Tools > Services to begin with.
I'd also check the event logs of your system for any further VSS related warnings or errors.

It looks as if this is an environment configuration issue more so than a pure backup issue however as changing the shadowstorage is a basic function within Windows itself.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8